NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Georgia CB Brandon Boykin
|03.29.12 at 3:31 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2012 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Weight: 182 pounds
Achievements: All-SEC second team by Phil Steele and SEC coaches, Paul Hornung Award
What he brings: Boykin is a quick cornerback with superior athletic ability. He has been lauded for having great reaction speed and a tremendous physique, and he brings value as a return man. Scouts have noted Boykin’s strong football character and professionalism.
Where the Patriots could get him: Rounds 2-4 — partly depending on his recovery from broken leg (see below)
Notes: In 14 games last season Boykin had 55 tackles, three interceptions and two forced fumbles. He also scored a rushing and receiving touchdown while playing offense. Boykin’s versatility doesn’t end there. He is Georgia’s all-time leader in kickoff return yards with 2,663. This total is second in SEC history, and he is the only player ever in the conference’s history with three 100-yard plays of any kind.
During a strong showing at the Senior Bowl, where many felt he improved his draft status, Boykin suffered a broken leg. He missed Georgia’s pro day on March 5 but scheduled an individual workout for April 9.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Roger Goodell to Attend Patriots Home Opener, 1st Foxboro Trip Since...
- Robert Kraft 'Would Love' for Darrelle Revis to Return to Patriots
- Ideal Second-Round Fits for New England Patriots in 2017 NFL Draft
- Robert Kraft Discusses Restricted Free-Agent Malcolm Butler's Contract...
- Tom Brady Told Robert Kraft He'd Like to Play 6-7 More NFL Seasons
- Aaron Hernandez May Be Cleared in Double-Murder Trial Due to Deleted Text
- Robert Kraft Comments on Tom Brady's Super Bowl Jersey Being Returned