NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Georgia CB Brandon Boykin
|03.29.12 at 3:31 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2012 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Weight: 182 pounds
Achievements: All-SEC second team by Phil Steele and SEC coaches, Paul Hornung Award
What he brings: Boykin is a quick cornerback with superior athletic ability. He has been lauded for having great reaction speed and a tremendous physique, and he brings value as a return man. Scouts have noted Boykin’s strong football character and professionalism.
Where the Patriots could get him: Rounds 2-4 — partly depending on his recovery from broken leg (see below)
Notes: In 14 games last season Boykin had 55 tackles, three interceptions and two forced fumbles. He also scored a rushing and receiving touchdown while playing offense. Boykin’s versatility doesn’t end there. He is Georgia’s all-time leader in kickoff return yards with 2,663. This total is second in SEC history, and he is the only player ever in the conference’s history with three 100-yard plays of any kind.
During a strong showing at the Senior Bowl, where many felt he improved his draft status, Boykin suffered a broken leg. He missed Georgia’s pro day on March 5 but scheduled an individual workout for April 9.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...
- 10 NFL Combine Participants New England Patriots Fans Should Know