NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Georgia CB Brandon Boykin
|03.29.12 at 3:31 pm ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2012 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Weight: 182 pounds
Achievements: All-SEC second team by Phil Steele and SEC coaches, Paul Hornung Award
What he brings: Boykin is a quick cornerback with superior athletic ability. He has been lauded for having great reaction speed and a tremendous physique, and he brings value as a return man. Scouts have noted Boykin’s strong football character and professionalism.
Where the Patriots could get him: Rounds 2-4 — partly depending on his recovery from broken leg (see below)
Notes: In 14 games last season Boykin had 55 tackles, three interceptions and two forced fumbles. He also scored a rushing and receiving touchdown while playing offense. Boykin’s versatility doesn’t end there. He is Georgia’s all-time leader in kickoff return yards with 2,663. This total is second in SEC history, and he is the only player ever in the conference’s history with three 100-yard plays of any kind.
During a strong showing at the Senior Bowl, where many felt he improved his draft status, Boykin suffered a broken leg. He missed Georgia’s pro day on March 5 but scheduled an individual workout for April 9.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots vs. Rams: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Tom Brady Passes Peyton Manning for Most Wins All-Time by a QB
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Ankle and Return
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...