NFL Draft’s Potential Patriots: Montana CB Trumaine Johnson
|03.30.12 at 8:53 am ET|
WEEI.com will continue to offer daily insight and analysis regarding options that may be available to the Patriots when it comes to the 2012 NFL draft. Here is one is a series of profiles of players who could be on the board when it’s time for the Patriots to make a selection.
Weight: 205 pounds
Achievements: AFCA FCS All-America (2010, 2011), AP first-team All-America (2010, 2011), Walter Camp Football Foundation FCS All-America (2010, 2011).
What he brings: Johnson has good size for a cornerback and has a reputation as a playmaker with good speed. He has shown strength in preventing yards after the catch and stopping the run. He would be a good player to develop in the Patriots’ shallow secondary, but he needs work when it comes to reacting better and faster in zone coverage, as scouts agree that Johnson struggles to change directions fast enough to break up passes or catch up to his man. Johnson can be a multidimensional player, as he returned kickoffs in 2010.
Where the Patriots could get him: Rounds 1-2
Notes: Johnson finished the 2011 season tied for third on the team in solo tackles (35) and sixth in total tackles (54). He registered two interceptions in his senior season to finish his collegiate career with 15 interceptions.
Johnson has a track record of discipline problems, as he missed nine games in 2008-09 in part due to a suspension related to an alleged fight outside a fraternity house. In October 2011, Johnson was tased and arrested after allegedly attempting to resist arrest at a party. He was charged with obstructing a peace officer, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest. He pleaded no contest to those charges as part of a plea deal.
Video: Here’s Johnson against Central Arkansas on Dec. 3.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Says He Hopes Martellus Bennett 'Breaks the Bank' in Free...
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...