Report: Patriots host Ryan Grant, Tim Hightower on visits
|04.20.12 at 4:29 pm ET|
Two more names who could be potential replacements for running back BenJarvus Green-Ellis made their way through Foxboro on Friday, as the Patriots hosted free agents Ryan Grant and Tim Hightower on visits, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.
The 29-year-old Grant spent the last five years with the Packers, and had impressive numbers in his first three years, posting a pair of back-to-back 1,200-yard plus seasons (1,203 in 2008 and 1,253 in 2009) before an ankle injury slowed him in 2010 (45 yards) and 2011 (559 yards on 134 carries). The 6-foot-1, 222-pounder was an undrafted free agent of Notre Dame.
Hightower is another back who was a relatively unregarded prospect (a 2008 fifth-round pick out of Richmond) who would go on to rush for a career-high 736 yards in 2010 with the Cardinals. He was traded to Washington after last year’s lockout, and managed just 321 yards for the Redskins. In his career, he has 2,054 yards on 523 carries, to go along with 24 rushing touchdowns. One thing in his favor is that, at least historically, Hightower has been a relatively dependable presence in the passing game out of the backfield — in four seasons, he has 879 receiving yards, including 428 for the Cards in 2009.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- NFL Power Rankings: Breaking Down Sunday's Action Ahead of Week 7
- Patriots vs. Bengals: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Illness: Updates on Patriots TE's Status and Return
- Tom Brady Elects Not to Comment When Asked About Donald Trump's Leaked...
- Cincinnati Bengals vs. New England Patriots Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL...
- Martellus Bennett, Chris Hogan, James White Post-Week 5 Fantasy Advice
- Patriots vs. Browns: Full Report Card Grades for New England