Draft day memories: For Anthony Gonzalez, personal expectations ‘outweigh anything a draft selection can justify’
|04.25.12 at 2:34 pm ET|
Andrew Luck will be the only one who really feels happy at the end of this year’s NFL draft. For the rest of the selections, their dreams will be realized, but at the same time, there will also be a twinge of disappointment.
“I think the only guy who’s really, really happy is the first pick. Everyone else probably thinks they should have gotten picked higher,” said Patriots wide receiver Anthony Gonzalez, a first-round pick of the Colts in 2007 out of Ohio State.
Gonzalez, who was taken 32nd overall, was speaking partially tongue-in-cheek, but he said that draft day is all part of a roller-coaster of emotions for any college prospect.
“It’s an emotional day,” he said when asked about his own draft day experience. “At the end of the day, though, I think everyone would agree with this: you get picked and you’re just thrilled that it’s over. Finally, your dream has sort of come true.”
Gonzalez was taken as a first-round pick by the Colts a few months after Indianapolis won Super Bowl XLVI, and enjoyed two very good seasons with the Colts, catching 94 passes in his first two years in Indy. He’s struggled with injury the last three years, but says he’s never had issues with the expectations that are usually come with being a first-round pick.
“I have expectations for myself and goals and desires that are personal, but I think that far outweigh anything a draft selection can justify,” he said. “So that’s not really something I concern myself with. I concern myself with being successful and helping the New England Patriots win football games. That’s my goal. If that happens and people say i was a great draft pick, five-and-a-half years ago, great. If not, honestly, I don’t care that much.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Super Bowl 49 Champion Bryan Stork Retires from NFL at 26 Years Old
- Tom Brady Super Bowl 51 Jersey Theft Timeline Revealed on Video
- Photos of Tom Brady's Previously Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Revealed
- New England Patriots: Updated Draft Big Board After First Wave of Free...
- Tyler Gaffney Released by New England Patriots
- Tom Brady Issues Statement on Recovery of Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey
- Video of Alleged Suspect Stealing Tom Brady's Super Bowl 51 Jersey Aired...