Patriots dismiss talk they’ve asked Seattle about the No. 12 pick
|04.26.12 at 5:12 pm ET|
The Patriots said Thursday afternoon via their official Twitter account that they have not spoken with Seattle about moving up to the No. 12 overall pick. That disputes an initial report from earlier in the day on Thursday that said New England had asked the Seahawks about the possibility of moving up in the first round.
While the Patriots are always keeping their options open, phone calls between teams on draft day usually fall into the “due diligence” category. Without talking about specific situations, in his pre-draft press conference earlier this month, Patriots director of player personnel Nick Caserio said such conversations with other teams at this time of year are “pretty generic and general.”
“We’ll reach out to a team and just say, ‘OK, you pick here, we pick here’ and just see whether or not they even entertain whether it’s moving up or moving down,” Caserio said of the Patriots, who currently hold the No. 27 and No. 31 picks in the first round. “You’re just trying to gauge what their level of interest is in doing any sort of business or any sort of transaction. But I would say honestly, those sort of materialize the day of the draft.
“I would say, just relative to where we’re picking right now, we’ll talk to teams and kind of get a general sense of the landscape but until that actual moment comes, until we’re actually in the draft room and the phone rings, we’ll listen and if it’s something that makes sense, we’ll consider it and if not, then we won’t.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots vs. Rams: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Tom Brady Passes Peyton Manning for Most Wins All-Time by a QB
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Ankle and Return
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...