A closer look at the Patriots’ seventh-round draft pick, Alfonzo Dennard
|04.28.12 at 7:13 pm ET|
FOXBORO — More often than not, when a team usually drafts in the seventh round, they’re looking for developmental players — projects who can be stashed on the practice squad or allowed to take what amounts to a redshirt year. That doesn’t figure to be the case with Alfonzo Dennard, who was taken 224th overall by the Patriots on Saturday.
The 5-foot-10, 205-pounder comes with plenty of baggage — there are multiple red flags with the Nebraska product, including an ejection from the Capital One Bowl this year and an arrest for allegedly punching a police officer earlier this month — but has certainly impressed on the field. He’s was a first-team All-Big Ten corner as a senior, and came away with 97 tackles (69 solo) and 21 pass breakups over the course of his college career.
In a New England secondary that has some shifting parts, Dennard could get an opportunity to see significant minutes sooner rather than later, particularly if he has a solid offseason. He joins a group at corner that includes Ras-I Dowling, Sterling Moore, Devin McCourty, Kyle Arrington, Will Allen and Marquice Cole, although Moore and McCourty have experience at safety (and could be shuffled back there if need be in 2012) and Dowling is coming off a rookie season where he spent most of the year on injured reserve.
For more on Dennard, check out our pre-draft scouting report on him here, or check out this video:
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Says He Hopes Martellus Bennett 'Breaks the Bank' in Free...
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...