Mayock: Addition of Jones and Hightower to Patriots’ defense ‘a huge win’
|05.04.12 at 8:36 am ET|
Mike Mayock of the NFL Network weighed in on the Patriots’ draft in the latest edition of “The Rich Eisen Podcast.” Saying that New England’s ability to get two starters for the front seven in Chandler Jones and Dont’a Hightower was a “huge win,” he was effusive in his praise of Bill Belichick and what he did to help the Patriots’ defense, particularly in the first round.
‘I love those two moves and part of the reason is I love the two players they got. If I didn’t love them, I’d probably be killing [the Patriots]. Atypical of Bill Belichick, everybody assumes he’s moving down and out. If you look at that offense, it is obviously Super Bowl-ready; it carried them to one last year. That offense is ready to go; there’s not a whole lot more necessary even with the retirement of their left tackle. Defensively is what they had to augment and I went on the record before the draft in saying I thought that the defensive end from Syracuse, Chandler Jones, who was number nine on my board ‘ three years from now he might be the best defensive end in football. I believe that strongly: he might be the best defensive player that comes out of this draft. I love that pick and the [Dont’a] Hightower thing was a no-brainer. You want to talk about somebody who is right up Bill Belichick’s alley it’s this kid. Anytime you can get two starters in your front seven on a defense that needs help, that’s a huge win.’
To check out more from the podcast, CLICK HERE.
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scarnecchia Has Tall Task Developing Pats' Young Offensive Line
- What Are Explanations for Patriots' Failure to Address Hole at RB?
- Patriots: Way-Too-Early 53-Man Roster and Depth Chart Predictions
- Kraft Comments on Brady's Deflategate Suspension Being Upheld
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 3 Predictions
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 2 Predictions
- Patriots Draft Picks: Results, Analysis and Grades