Bill Belichick tops Forbes list of highest-paid coaches for second straight year
|05.16.12 at 5:19 pm ET|
Forbes has published its annual list of coaches’ salaries, and Patriots coach Bill Belichick is at the top of the list once again. Forbes says he makes $7.5 annually, which is tops among all North American football, baseball, basketball and hockey coaches.
Belichick’s salary has been a closely guarded secret over the years. The last time we heard talk about it was back in 2007, when it was reported the coach and franchise agreed to an extension that would keep him with the franchise through at least the 2013 season, according to ESPN. And earlier that year, Belichick made a brief mention about his contract situation.
‘I don’t talk about contracts, but I would say I like working here, I like the organization ‘ ownership, coaches, scouts, players, and the guys I work with,’ he said in July 2007. ‘I appreciate the opportunity to work here, and it’s a good situation. I don’t see that changing anytime soon.’
Belichick has been a fairly regular presence on the Forbes list. In 2010, Belichick was second to then-Lakers coach Phil Jackson. But after Jackson retired followed that season, Belichick moved into the top spot at $7.5 million, which makes 2012 his second straight year at No. 1 overall.
Belichick isn’t the only New England coach in the Top 10. Celtics coach Doc Rivers was tied for second with Redskins’ coach Mike Shanahan, Rams coach Jeff Fisher and Seahawks coach Pete Carroll, all at $7 million, annually. (For the complete list, CLICK HERE.)
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Aaron Hernandez May Be Cleared in Double-Murder Trial Due to Deleted Text
- Robert Kraft Comments on Tom Brady's Super Bowl Jersey Being Returned
- President Donald Trump to Host Patriots at White House on April 19
- Darrelle Revis Reportedly Expected to Return to Patriots If He Plays Next...
- Biggest Needs New England Patriots Have Yet to Address This Offseason
- Super Bowl 49 Champion Bryan Stork Retires from NFL at 26 Years Old
- Tom Brady Super Bowl 51 Jersey Theft Timeline Revealed on Video