Patriots sign offensive lineman Jon Opperud
|05.18.12 at 1:33 pm ET|
The Patriots announced Friday afternoon they have signed offensive lineman Jon Opperud, a rookie free agent out of Montana. The 22-year-old Opperud was originally signed by Seattle as a rookie free agent on April 29 out of Montana and was released by the Seahawks on May 15.
The 6-foot-7, 300-pounder was a three-year starter for Montana. After seeing action in all 11 games as a true freshman in 2008, he earned a starting position at left guard in 2009. He was moved to left tackle for his junior and season seasons.
According to Pro Football Weekly, Opperud is a “tall, slow-footed, FCS blocker who played tackle and guard as a three-year starter. Relies on positioning and technique to control defenders, as he is not strong enough to generate power on his own. Is intelligent, tough and competitive, though his intangibles outpace his athletic ability.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Tom Brady, Bill Belichick Clinch Record 7th Super Bowl Appearance
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Ankle and Return
- Martellus Bennett Injury: Updates on Patriots TE's Knee, Ankle and Return
- Donald Trump Addresses Robert Kraft, Tom Brady at Campaign Donors Dinner
- Patriots' No-Name Defense Has Started Making a Name for Itself
- Josh McDaniels to Return as Patriots OC: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Patriots Picked Perfect Time to Play Imperfect Football in Win over...