Patriots sign offensive lineman Jon Opperud
|05.18.12 at 1:33 pm ET|
The Patriots announced Friday afternoon they have signed offensive lineman Jon Opperud, a rookie free agent out of Montana. The 22-year-old Opperud was originally signed by Seattle as a rookie free agent on April 29 out of Montana and was released by the Seahawks on May 15.
The 6-foot-7, 300-pounder was a three-year starter for Montana. After seeing action in all 11 games as a true freshman in 2008, he earned a starting position at left guard in 2009. He was moved to left tackle for his junior and season seasons.
According to Pro Football Weekly, Opperud is a “tall, slow-footed, FCS blocker who played tackle and guard as a three-year starter. Relies on positioning and technique to control defenders, as he is not strong enough to generate power on his own. Is intelligent, tough and competitive, though his intangibles outpace his athletic ability.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Biggest Takeaways from Patriots' Week 11 Win
- Pats' 13th Straight Season With 10+ Wins
- Patriots vs. Broncos: Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL Pick
- Amendola, LaFell, White's Post-Week 11 Fantasy Advice
- Once Again, the Patriots Find a Way to Stay Perfect
- White Has Potential to Fill Patriots' 3rd-Down Role
- Latest on Danny Amendola's Knee Injury