NFL Films producer Greg Cosell talks about Tom Brady, Joe Flacco and Tim Tebow and what it means to be a ‘winner’
|05.30.12 at 1:26 pm ET|
We’ve already made it clear that we have a great level of respect for NFL Films producer Greg Cosell, having spoken with him on a number of topics regarding the Patriots, as well as the rest of the league. And in his latest blog post, he talks about the label of “winner” and what it means in today’s NFL.
Cosell looks at the case of New England quarterback Tom Brady. While acknowledging the greatness of Brady, Cosell wonders what his legacy would be if kicker Adam Vinatieri missed kicks at the end of Super Bowl XXXVI and XXXVIII and the Patriots ended up losing those games. “Would Brady’s performance have been any less impressive in those games? Obviously not,” writes Cosell. “What would be different is our collective perception of his performance. He would not have been acclaimed a ‘winner.'”
He also looks at applying the same idea to the careers of Joe Flacco (with a focus on the end of last season’s AFC championship loss to the Patriots), Peyton Manning and Tim Tebow and what the phrase “winner” has meant in relation to them over the last few seasons. In all, it’s a fascinating read.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Griff Whalen to Patriots: Latest Contract Details, Comments and Reaction
- Patriots vs. Rams: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Tom Brady Passes Peyton Manning for Most Wins All-Time by a QB
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Ankle and Return
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?