Rob Gronkowski: I’d be ‘cool’ with a gay teammate
|07.18.12 at 9:52 am ET|
Two Rob Gronkowski items from the last couple of days to get your day started:
1) In a quick Q&A at the ESPY’s a few days ago in Los Angeles, Gronkowski was approached by Outsports’ Cyd Zeigler, who asked him, ‘How would you feel if one of your teammates on the Patriots came out of the closet this season?’
‘If that’s how they are, that’s how they are,’ Gronkowski said. ‘I mean, we’re teammates so, as long as he’s being a good teammate and being respectful and everything, that’s cool.’
The exchange was part of an interesting blog post Zeigler has about attitudes toward homosexuality in the NFL. It’s well worth a read.
2) Our old pal Ian Rapoport caught up with Bay State native and former NHL star Jeremy Roenick in Tahoe for a celebrity golf tournament, and Roenick was effusive in his praise of the big Patriots tight end, saying that Gronk was ‘the next best thing to Jesus Christ.’
‘I’m a Patriots fan,’ Roenick said. ‘I grew up in Boston. I’m a big Patriots fan, a big Wes Welker fan, a big Tom Brady fan. So, being from that area, the Gronk is the next best thing to Jesus Christ, in my opinion. (Laughs) So, That’s my team. Unfortunately, Indianapolis was my other team because Peyton Manning was very much a favorite of mine. And that just didn’t work well. Now he’s in Denver, but still a problem.’
He’s also digs Wes Welker.
‘I like him because he’s a crazy son of a (gun),’ Roenick added. ‘You need to be to be his size and play the game the way he plays it. I just appreciate his mentality, appreciate his personality and the way he goes after it.’
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Malcolm Butler Contract: Latest News, Rumors
- Patriots DT Plans to Recruit Kevin Durant to Celtics
- Patriots Feature Formidable 3-Man Pass-Rush Rotation
- Patriots File Amicus Brief Supporting Brady's Deflategate Suspension...
- Deep Battle Brewing for Roster Spots at WR for Patriots
- Robert Kraft Comments on Handling of Tom Brady's Deflategate Suspension
- Freeney Would Add No Value to Patriots Defense