Rob Gronkowski: I’d be ‘cool’ with a gay teammate
|07.18.12 at 9:52 am ET|
Two Rob Gronkowski items from the last couple of days to get your day started:
1) In a quick Q&A at the ESPY’s a few days ago in Los Angeles, Gronkowski was approached by Outsports’ Cyd Zeigler, who asked him, ‘How would you feel if one of your teammates on the Patriots came out of the closet this season?’
‘If that’s how they are, that’s how they are,’ Gronkowski said. ‘I mean, we’re teammates so, as long as he’s being a good teammate and being respectful and everything, that’s cool.’
The exchange was part of an interesting blog post Zeigler has about attitudes toward homosexuality in the NFL. It’s well worth a read.
2) Our old pal Ian Rapoport caught up with Bay State native and former NHL star Jeremy Roenick in Tahoe for a celebrity golf tournament, and Roenick was effusive in his praise of the big Patriots tight end, saying that Gronk was ‘the next best thing to Jesus Christ.’
‘I’m a Patriots fan,’ Roenick said. ‘I grew up in Boston. I’m a big Patriots fan, a big Wes Welker fan, a big Tom Brady fan. So, being from that area, the Gronk is the next best thing to Jesus Christ, in my opinion. (Laughs) So, That’s my team. Unfortunately, Indianapolis was my other team because Peyton Manning was very much a favorite of mine. And that just didn’t work well. Now he’s in Denver, but still a problem.’
He’s also digs Wes Welker.
‘I like him because he’s a crazy son of a (gun),’ Roenick added. ‘You need to be to be his size and play the game the way he plays it. I just appreciate his mentality, appreciate his personality and the way he goes after it.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Aaron Hernandez May Be Cleared in Double-Murder Trial Due to Deleted Text
- Robert Kraft Comments on Tom Brady's Super Bowl Jersey Being Returned
- President Donald Trump to Host Patriots at White House on April 19
- Darrelle Revis Reportedly Expected to Return to Patriots If He Plays Next...
- Biggest Needs New England Patriots Have Yet to Address This Offseason
- Super Bowl 49 Champion Bryan Stork Retires from NFL at 26 Years Old
- Tom Brady Super Bowl 51 Jersey Theft Timeline Revealed on Video