|Nate Solder, Brandon Spikes tussle at practice||08.01.12 at 9:37 pm ET|
FOXBORO — Season ticket-holders were treated to a little extra Wednesday, as the Patriots’ private indoor practice was highlighted by a scrap between Nate Solder and Brandon Spikes that started when Solder took a shot at the third-year linebacker that Spikes — and coaches — weren’t thrilled with.
Spikes left the field limping after the altercation (he would return later in practice), while Solder had to run a penalty lap. Other players jumped into the fracas, with Tom Brady holding Jerod Mayo from running in.
After the practice, cornerback Kyle Arrington noted that such incidents “happen often” throughout the league in camp.
“It’s a time to beat up on each other,” Arrington said. “We see each other every day. You grow tired of people this time of year. That’s the nature of it.”
First-round pick Chandler Jones stayed out of the it altogether, noting afterward that unlike his brother, who competes in the UFC, he isn’t a fighter.
“You know what? I’m not Jon ‘Bones’ Jones,” he said. “My name is Chandler.”
The Patriots are in the dog days of camp (Bill Belichick‘s words), and if Wednesday’s tussle says anything, it’s that the intensity has remained high after six days of being back on the field.
“That’s how we practice every day,” Jones said. “I don’t know if you guys think it was different than it was before, but that’s how we practice every day. It’s very intense. We treat every day like it was game day.”
2013 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2013 NFL DRAFT
- Patriots Claim OT Kevin Haslam; Waive R.J. Mattes
- Patriots Spend League High $140K In Guaranteed Money For UDFAs
- New England Patriots Links 5/22/13 - Talib: OTAs About 'Getting Down the...
- The Potential Importance Of Jake Ballard
- Four Missing From Second Day Of Patriots OTAs
- The Top 20 Most Memorable Patriots Moments of 2012: Number 8
- New England Patriots Links 5/21/13 - Watching for Early Signs of...