Chandler Jones: ‘I’m a different player’ than Jason Pierre-Paul
|08.14.12 at 9:51 am ET|
FOXBORO — For those who have closely watched Chandler Jones at Syracuse and watched in him camp with the Patriots from the OTAs to minicamp to know, there’s one current NFL player that comes to mind — Jason Pierre-Paul of the Giants.
The 23-year-old right defensive end out of South Florida played a key role in the Giants “NASCAR” front that steamrolled opponents in the playoffs last year, on the way to a second Super Bowl win over the Patriots in five seasons.
The similarities are there: Jones is only 22. He is the same height (6-foot-5) and 15 pounds lighter. And both are known for their speed rush off the right end and their ability to get to the quarterback and their length to tip balls at the line of scrimmage.
But Jones made an attempt after practice Monday to put the brakes on any further comparisons.
“Jason Pierre-Paul is a great player,” Jones said. “And I’m a different player from him. I’m not going to sit here and compare us two. But he’s a great player and I respect his game. I have no comment on the comparison.”
Can Jones, as a rookie, be the same kind of disruptive force Pierre-Paul has been in two NFL seasons for the Giants? In two NFL seasons, JPP as he is so known, has 111 tackles, 21 sacks and four forced fumbles. Impressive numbers and numbers the Patriots would surely take in their defensive scheme.
“I come out and work my craft and I work on my moves, if it’s speed or power, I take what the offensive line gives me,” Jones said. “Whatever they give me, I take.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...
- 10 NFL Combine Participants New England Patriots Fans Should Know
- Devin McCourty Comments on Decision to Skip White House Visit with Donald...
- Former Patriots, Miami CB Leonard Myers Dies at Age 38
- Tom Brady, Patriots Reportedly Have Mutual Interest in New Contract
- Jimmy Garoppolo Reportedly May Remain with Patriots Despite Trade Rumors