Want to try the Patriots’ conditioning test? Good luck
|08.15.12 at 11:07 am ET|
Every preseason, there’s always at least one guy who fails the Patriots conditioning test, and it inevitably becomes a story for one of us in the media. With that in mind, I decided to take a shot at trying to pass this year, specifically the one they give to linemen — two sets of 10 40-yard dashes in six seconds or less, with 30 seconds in between. (You would be surprised how long 40 yards is, and how difficult it is to get your body to move that fast.) With our trusty timekeeper alongside, we decided to give it a shot.
In WEEI.com fashion, we learned a few things. 1) I am not a fast man. In fact, despite being able to run a couple of miles at a stretch, I am remarkably slow and have a gait comparable to a Clydesdale. 2) I have a new level of respect for the level of fitness when it comes to the big guys in the trenches. 3) I should have stretched better before and after this — four days later, I was still sore. Anyway, I think I did pretty well for a 240-pound sportswriter. (I’ll let you watch to see if I passed.) I hope you enjoy the video, and thanks to cameraman Peter Neudel for not laughing too hard and cutting out all the really embarrassing stuff.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Big of an Impact Will Easley Make for Pats?
- Patriots' Top Offseason Moves
- Assessing Every Patriots UDFA's Chances of Making the Roster
- Projecting Patriots' Roster Battles This Offseason
- Ranking Pats' Remaining Offseason Priorities
- Early Projections for Patriots' Final 53-Man Roster
- In-Depth Look at Each Pats Draft Pick