Brandon Lloyd: Playing with Tom Brady and Pats ‘everything it’s built up to be’
|08.18.12 at 1:10 pm ET|
FOXBORO — Another phase of Brandon Lloyd‘s indoctrination into the “Patriot Way” came to a close on Friday with the end of training camp practices.
Lloyd has OTAs, minicamp and now a full training camp under his belt since signing with the Patriots on March 17. So, what has he learned?
“It’s everything that it’s built up to be,” Lloyd said Friday after the final practice of training camp. “It takes every ounce of concentration and physical preparation and mental preparation to be able to function in this offense. They have a championship pedigree and I’m just doing my best to get up to speed and execute.”
The 31-year old Lloyd was drafted in the fourth round of the 2003 draft by the 49ers. Since, he has played for the Niners, Redskins, Bears, Broncos and Rams. He has never had the chance to play with a quarterback of the caliber of Tom Brady. He has spent every waking moment trying to prepare himself for making the most of this chance.
“You hear about it and try to emulate it the best you can,” Lloyd said. “It’s just different when every person on the roster is doing it, as opposed to four or five guys or 10 guys or 11. It’s definitely been fulfilling.”
Lloyd signed a three-year deal with the New England Patriots for $12 million with incentives that could make it worth $15.5 million. He spent some time during and after practice with Ty Law, a teammate of his in 2009 in Denver and someone in earlier years who was paid big bucks to shut players like Lloyd down.
“He was the shutdown guy,” Lloyd said of Law. “When I first got in the league, he was always on the best receiver. Then he was in Denver in 2009. I just remember him being an excellent pro.
“That’s what’s brings it all full circle. Just being a pro in everything he does. Then he gets out on the field and does it. That’s what makes him the best.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Aaron Hernandez May Be Cleared in Double-Murder Trial Due to Deleted Text
- Robert Kraft Comments on Tom Brady's Super Bowl Jersey Being Returned
- President Donald Trump to Host Patriots at White House on April 19
- Darrelle Revis Reportedly Expected to Return to Patriots If He Plays Next...
- Biggest Needs New England Patriots Have Yet to Address This Offseason
- Super Bowl 49 Champion Bryan Stork Retires from NFL at 26 Years Old
- Tom Brady Super Bowl 51 Jersey Theft Timeline Revealed on Video