Brandon Lloyd: Playing with Tom Brady and Pats ‘everything it’s built up to be’
|08.18.12 at 1:10 pm ET|
FOXBORO — Another phase of Brandon Lloyd‘s indoctrination into the “Patriot Way” came to a close on Friday with the end of training camp practices.
Lloyd has OTAs, minicamp and now a full training camp under his belt since signing with the Patriots on March 17. So, what has he learned?
“It’s everything that it’s built up to be,” Lloyd said Friday after the final practice of training camp. “It takes every ounce of concentration and physical preparation and mental preparation to be able to function in this offense. They have a championship pedigree and I’m just doing my best to get up to speed and execute.”
The 31-year old Lloyd was drafted in the fourth round of the 2003 draft by the 49ers. Since, he has played for the Niners, Redskins, Bears, Broncos and Rams. He has never had the chance to play with a quarterback of the caliber of Tom Brady. He has spent every waking moment trying to prepare himself for making the most of this chance.
“You hear about it and try to emulate it the best you can,” Lloyd said. “It’s just different when every person on the roster is doing it, as opposed to four or five guys or 10 guys or 11. It’s definitely been fulfilling.”
Lloyd signed a three-year deal with the New England Patriots for $12 million with incentives that could make it worth $15.5 million. He spent some time during and after practice with Ty Law, a teammate of his in 2009 in Denver and someone in earlier years who was paid big bucks to shut players like Lloyd down.
“He was the shutdown guy,” Lloyd said of Law. “When I first got in the league, he was always on the best receiver. Then he was in Denver in 2009. I just remember him being an excellent pro.
“That’s what’s brings it all full circle. Just being a pro in everything he does. Then he gets out on the field and does it. That’s what makes him the best.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Says He Hopes Martellus Bennett 'Breaks the Bank' in Free...
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...