More on Stephen Gostkowski’s big night and Jeff Demps’ big contract
|08.21.12 at 10:08 am ET|
Three things worth passing along this Tuesday morning:
1) He didn’t make the cut when it came to ‘10 Things We Learned,’ but Patriots kicker Stephen Gostkowski had a heck of a night against the Eagles. Gostkowski was 3-for-3 on field goal attempts, including dead on connections from 51, 35 and 55 yards. (In the regular season, Gostkowski is 5-for-8 from 50 yards or more in his career, including a career-best 53-yard field goal at Denver on Nov. 11, 2009. His only 50-plus field goal at Gillette Stadium in the regular season was a 51-yarder vs. Chicago on Nov. 26, 2006.) Working with backup kicker Chris Koepplin, the Patriots put four of their five kickoffs into the end zone, and finished with three touchbacks. All in all, a very good night for the New England kicking game.
2) From the press box, here are a few final snaps counts from Monday night, per Stephen Hewitt:
QB Ryan Mallett: 34
QB Brian Hoyer: 32
RB Stevan Ridley: 19 (plus two on kick return)
RB Shane Vereen: (28 (plus three on kick return)
RB Brandon Bolden: 15 (plus one on kick return and one on punt return)
DE Chandler Jones: 11
LB Dont’a Hightower: 11
3) Good read here on the contract for new Patriots running back Jeff Demps from Brian McIntyre of NFL.com. According to McIntyre, Demps received a signing bonus of $11,000. In addition to the signing bonus, the Patriots have fully guaranteed $200,000 of the $390,000 base salary Demps would earn if he makes the 53-man roster. According to McIntyre, the total of $211,000 in guaranteed money is the second-largest sum given to a 2012 undrafted free agent, exceeded only by the $214,000 the Cowboys guaranteed offensive lineman Ronald Leary.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- The Redemption of Josh McDaniels: Failure Taught Pats OC How to Pick His...
- Julian Edelman Comments on His Role Against Bills in Week 4
- Anthony Johnson Released by Patriots: Latest Comments and Reaction
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England