Following the flags: Which Patriots have been penalized the most this preseason?
|08.23.12 at 9:53 am ET|
Our weekly “following the flags” feature drew a lot of attention last season, so we decided to bring it back this year. Through two weeks of the preseason, the Patriots have been flagged for 12 penalties for 141 yards. Here’s a look on how things break down through two weeks, not including penalties that were declined or offset:
Most penalized players, listed by total flags and with total yardage lost:
OT Nate Solder: two penalties (two offensive holding), 20 yards
OT Marcus Cannon: two penalties (false start, offensive holding), 15 yards.
*S Tavon Wilson: one penalty (pass interference), 46 yards.
OL Donald Thomas: one penalty (personal foul), 15 yards
DE Jake Bequette: one penalty (roughing the passer), 15 yards
CB Marquice Cole: one penalty (illegal block above the waist), 10 yards
CB Sterling Moore, one penalty (defensive holding), 5 yards
DL Brandon Deaderick, one penalty (defensive offsides), 5 yards
Team: one penalty (encroachment), 5 yards
WR Jesse Holley: one penalty (false start), 5 yards
Most penalized by position:
Offensive line: Five penalties for 50 yards
Safety: One penalty for 46 yards
Defensive line: Two penalties for 20 yards
Cornerback: Two penalties for 15 yards
Wide receiver: One penalty for 5 yards
Team: One penalty for 5 yards
Most frequently called penalties on the Patriots:
Offensive holding: Three
False start: Two
Illegal block above the waist: One
Pass interference: One
Personal foul: One
Roughing the passer: One
Defensive holding: One
Defensive offsides: One
(*We’ll leave the penalty next to Wilson’s name, but a closer look at the film reveals that it was Sterling Moore who should have been called for the infraction.)
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...
- Marcus Cannon, Patriots Agree to New Contract: Latest Details and...
- Tom Brady Became 5th QB in NFL History to Throw for at Least 60,000 Yards
- Patriots vs. Jets: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Recovery from Back...
- Julian Edelman Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Foot and Return