Lex Hilliard latest to audition for the role of fullback in Foxboro
|09.05.12 at 1:11 pm ET|
FOXBORO — Lex Hilliard is built like a fullback, and while he has some positional versatility, he’s anticipating working as a fullback with the Patriots.
Hilliard, a 5-foot-11, 240-pounder, was signed to the active roster earlier this week by New England, as the Patriots continue to cycle their way through fullbacks. Spencer Larsen, Tony Fiammetta, Eric Kettani and Kareem Huggins have all come and gone over the course of the summer. The latest to land in Foxboro is Hilliard, who has spent three seasons in the league, all of them with the Dolphins. (He was picked up and cut this summer by the Vikings.)
A sixth-round pick of Miami in 2008, he’s had 39 carries for 130 yards and two touchdowns in three years. He’s played both fullback and running back over the course of his career — and his body type definitely suggests fullback — but is ready to take on the fullback job if that’s what it takes for him to stick with the Patriots.
“I came in in Miami — I played a little [fullback] there,” he said. “I did a little bit in Minnesota. I could be playing it again.”
One thing Hilliard has in his favor is a real working knowledge of the AFC East. He’s already been leaning on former Miami teammates Donald Thomas and Rob Ninkovich to help with the overall acclimation process.
“It’s pretty fun, hitting the ground running like this,” he said. “I played in Miami, and we were in the same division so we played the Patriots twice a year. It was good to be around an organization I already have a familiarity with. Donald Thomas was with me down in Miami. Rob Ninkovich was down there with me. A couple of faces that seem familiar.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Says He Hopes Martellus Bennett 'Breaks the Bank' in Free...
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...