Key Moment: Chandler Jones, Dont’a Hightower combine for second-quarter TD
|09.09.12 at 4:04 pm ET|
For the Patriots, the key moment in Sunday’s 34-13 win over the Titans came with 11:16 remaining in the second quarter. With the Patriots leading 7-3, the Titans faced a 3rd-and-13 at their own 7-yard line. That’s when the two rookie first-round picks made the impact play of the afternoon, as Chandler Jones used a swim move to blow past tackle Michael Roos and produce a strip sack of quarterback Jake Locker.
Dont’a Hightower — who had a solo tackle on the previous play on Chris Johnson (who rushed for a career-low four yards on 11 carries) for a three-yard loss to set up the 3rd-and-13 — scooped up the Locker fumble at the Tennessee 6-yard line and returned it for the score to give New England a 14-3 lead. The game was never seriously in doubt following the Hightower score.
“Right now, we have to make plays. That was the duo of the young guys. Congratulations to those guys,” Bill Belichick said after the game.
It was the highlight of a terrific debut for Jones, who dominated Roos, particularly in that second quarter that saw Jones add a pair of tackles for a loss to the strip-sack. Jones finished with five tackles, as did Hightower. Another rookie draft pick made a significant contribution to the victory, as Tavon Wilson made a diving interception in the end zone off of a Locker pass that was intended for Nate Washington and tipped by Kyle Arrington.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Jacoby Brissett, Julian Edelman, LeGarrette Blount Post-Week 3 Fantasy...
- Despite Injuries, Patriots Already September's Biggest Winners in the NFL
- Houston Texans vs. New England Patriots Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL Pick