Wes Welker: ‘Obviously, I want to be out there as much as possible’
|09.21.12 at 1:49 pm ET|
Now, with Aaron Hernandez sidelined indefinitely with a sprained right ankle, he’s hoping that will pay off in more touches this weekend as the Patriots play the Ravens in Baltimore.
“Obviously I want to be out there as much as possible,” Welker said in front of his locker and to the side of Hernandez’s motorized cart. “However I can contribute to help us win, that’s my job.”
“I think we all just go out there and do our job to the best of our ability, and whenever you’re called upon, you go out there and do that,” Welker said. “And our job is to pick up the slack with Aaron being out.”
This week, Welker got an old friend back in the locker room and in practice in Deion Branch.
“It’s great having Deion back. He’s such a great player and a great guy to have around. He’s right back where he was a few weeks ago. Having someone like Deion around, who’s been so dependable for so many years, [hopefully] he can continue to be this year. I think it helps everyone. Anytime you have a player that can contribute like he can, I think that helps everybody out a lot.”
Kellen Winslow could also be a factor Sunday night and Welker alluded to this when he spoke of the veteran tight end on Friday.
“He’s a talented player, he gets in and out of breaks really well, runs well, and catches the ball really well,” Welker said. “We’ll look for him to help us out as well.”
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- What Are Explanations for Patriots' Failure to Address Hole at RB?
- Patriots: Way-Too-Early 53-Man Roster and Depth Chart Predictions
- Kraft Comments on Brady's Deflategate Suspension Being Upheld
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 3 Predictions
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 2 Predictions
- Patriots Draft Picks: Results, Analysis and Grades
- Why the 1st Round of the 2016 NFL Draft Still Matters to Patriots