Wes Welker: ‘Obviously, I want to be out there as much as possible’
|09.21.12 at 1:49 pm ET|
Now, with Aaron Hernandez sidelined indefinitely with a sprained right ankle, he’s hoping that will pay off in more touches this weekend as the Patriots play the Ravens in Baltimore.
“Obviously I want to be out there as much as possible,” Welker said in front of his locker and to the side of Hernandez’s motorized cart. “However I can contribute to help us win, that’s my job.”
“I think we all just go out there and do our job to the best of our ability, and whenever you’re called upon, you go out there and do that,” Welker said. “And our job is to pick up the slack with Aaron being out.”
This week, Welker got an old friend back in the locker room and in practice in Deion Branch.
“It’s great having Deion back. He’s such a great player and a great guy to have around. He’s right back where he was a few weeks ago. Having someone like Deion around, who’s been so dependable for so many years, [hopefully] he can continue to be this year. I think it helps everyone. Anytime you have a player that can contribute like he can, I think that helps everybody out a lot.”
Kellen Winslow could also be a factor Sunday night and Welker alluded to this when he spoke of the veteran tight end on Friday.
“He’s a talented player, he gets in and out of breaks really well, runs well, and catches the ball really well,” Welker said. “We’ll look for him to help us out as well.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Roger Goodell to Attend Patriots Home Opener, 1st Foxboro Trip Since...
- Robert Kraft 'Would Love' for Darrelle Revis to Return to Patriots
- Ideal Second-Round Fits for New England Patriots in 2017 NFL Draft
- Robert Kraft Discusses Restricted Free-Agent Malcolm Butler's Contract...
- Tom Brady Told Robert Kraft He'd Like to Play 6-7 More NFL Seasons
- Aaron Hernandez May Be Cleared in Double-Murder Trial Due to Deleted Text
- Robert Kraft Comments on Tom Brady's Super Bowl Jersey Being Returned