|Key Moment: Devin McCourty penalty sets up game-winning field goal||09.24.12 at 12:08 am ET|
For the Patriots, the key moment in Sunday’s 31-30 loss to the Ravens came on the game’s final play. For the second straight week for New England, a kicker faced a potential game-winning field goal. Last Sunday, Stephen Gostkowski missed a 47-yard kick in the loss to the Cardinals. Baltimore rookie kicker Justin Tucker was successful in his game-winning attempt, barely sneaking in a 27-yarder to give the Ravens the win and send the Patriots to 1-2 on the season and under .500 for the first time since losing the season opener to Buffalo in 2003.
(Vince Wilfork was adamant that Tucker missed the kick, yelling at officials in the end zone. Bill Belichick grabbed an official by the arm after the game, but the official ran by the New England coach and did not speak to Belichick.)
The Ravens started the game-winning drive at the New England 21, with Joe Flacco connecting with Jacoby Jones for a 24-yard gain. Dennis Pitta had a 17-yard catch on the drive, but it was Devin McCourty (who was beat by Jones on the 24-yard catch) with the key miscue of the game, flagged (correctly) for pass interference on Jones, setting up a first down at the New England 7-yard line. Two plays later Tucker kicked the winner, an attempt that very nearly missed to the right.
2013 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2013 NFL DRAFT
- Bill Belichick and The Greatest Coaches Ever
- New England Patriots Links 5/23/13 - Amendola, Jenkins Top Receivers at...
- Patriots Claim OT Kevin Haslam; Waive R.J. Mattes
- Patriots Spend League High $140K In Guaranteed Money For UDFAs
- New England Patriots Links 5/22/13 - Talib: OTAs About 'Getting Down the...
- The Potential Importance Of Jake Ballard
- Four Missing From Second Day Of Patriots OTAs