Pats waive DT Terrell McClain, reportedly cut OL Thomas Austin and are set to bring back LB Bobby Carpenter
|10.02.12 at 7:02 pm ET|
The Patriots placed defensive tackle Terrell McClain on waivers on Tuesday. The 6-foot-2, 300-pounder was active for his one game with the team — last Sunday against Buffalo — but did not register any statistics in limited action. The 24-year-old was a 2011 third-round pick of the Panthers, but was released by Carolina last month before getting scooped up by the Patriots.
According to Tom E. Curran of Comcast Sports Net, the Patriots have also terminated the contract of practice squad offensive lineman Thomas Austin. In his second tour with the Patriots — he was on New England’s practice squad in 2010 — Austin was signed to the team’s practice squad on Sept. 1 after being waived by the Texans. He’s also seen time with the Vikings.
In addition, CSNNE is also reporting that in the wake of a hamstring injury to rookie linebacker Dont’a Hightower, the Patriots are expected to re-sign linebacker Bobby Carpenter. The 29-year-old Carpenter, who was signed by New England this offseason but was cut before the start of the season, has some positional versatility, having played both middle and inside linebacker over the course of his six seasons in the NFL.
2013 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2013 NFL DRAFT
- Report: Rob Gronkowski Back Surgery Completed and Successful
- Fantasy Outlook: Patriots RB Stevan Ridley
- The Top 20 Most Memorable Patriots Moments of 2012: Number 5
- New England Patriots Links 6/18/13 - Shane Vereen: Offense Has 'Sour...
- New England Patriots Links 6/17/13 - Leon Washington Hopes to Contribute...
- New England Patriots Links 6/14/13 - WRs: It's Amendola, Everyone Else
- New England Patriots Links 6/13/13 - Don't Expect Tom-Tim Tag Team