Thoughts on Patriots, penalties, Bobby Carpenter
|10.03.12 at 12:25 am ET|
We broke down the Patriots and their penalty situation after four games, and a few things stuck out: First, the fact that they followed a 10-penalty game with a one-penalty contest. (Have to imagine that part of that is due to the return of the regular refs.)
Second, while they are about the same when it comes to total penalties assessed, they are almost 100 yards off last year’s pace (268 yards last year, 173 this year) when it comes to total penalty yards lost.
And third, three offensive players have taken every snap this year for the Patriots — quarterback Tom Brady, center Ryan Wendell and left tackle Nate Solder — and none of the three have picked up a single penalty all season. It’s amazing to consider that two offensive linemen, particularly a left tackle like Solder, have played so much and managed to avoid committing a penalty.
‘¢ With the news from Tom Curran of CSN that Dont’a Hightower might have a problematic hamstring, it’s no surprise that the Patriots are likely to bring back Bobby Carpenter to play linebacker. Carpenter, who was cut on Sept. 1, looked like he was going to make the team for a couple of reasons out of camp, not the least of which was the fact that he was very good when it came to playing the pass. On Sunday against the Bills, Brandon Spikes played very well against the run, but there was more than one time where he looked overwhelmed in pass coverage. While Tracy White flashed positively at times working against Buffalo on Sunday, Carpenter would take the bulk of the snaps in passing downs going forward.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots vs. Rams: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Tom Brady Passes Peyton Manning for Most Wins All-Time by a QB
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Ankle and Return
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...