Chandler Jones: ‘Don’t try to play the name game’ with Peyton Manning
|10.05.12 at 2:07 pm ET|
FOXBORO — One day after being named the NFL defensive rookie of the month for September, Chandler Jones took another step Friday in an effort to show he’s mature beyond his years in the league.
Jones, like many around the league, grew up loving football and a fan of Peyton Manning. But on Sunday, Manning becomes just another quarterback he’ll be trying to plant into the ground.
“Definitely been watching him since I was a little kid but you take this game with the same approach you take it from Week 1 to Week 2 to Week 13,” Jones said. “I don’t try to play the name game, who I’m going against. There’s a quarterback out there and my job is to get after him.”
Jones has been getting after quarterbacks – and offensive players – with regularity in his first four NFL games. He 19 total tackles, a team-leading three sacks, five quarterback hits and two forced fumbles, earning him the rookie of the month honor. But the challenge will be getting past two-time Pro Bowl left tackle Ryan Clady this Sunday at Gillette. Clady has given up just one quarterback hit and no sacks this season.
“Ryan Clady is a great player,” Jones said. “From my film study, he has some experience with him and it’s our job to execute.”
Another sign of maturity came when he was asked about his defensive rookie of the month honor.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots vs. Rams: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Tom Brady Passes Peyton Manning for Most Wins All-Time by a QB
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Ankle and Return
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...