Chandler Jones: ‘Don’t try to play the name game’ with Peyton Manning
|10.05.12 at 2:07 pm ET|
FOXBORO — One day after being named the NFL defensive rookie of the month for September, Chandler Jones took another step Friday in an effort to show he’s mature beyond his years in the league.
Jones, like many around the league, grew up loving football and a fan of Peyton Manning. But on Sunday, Manning becomes just another quarterback he’ll be trying to plant into the ground.
“Definitely been watching him since I was a little kid but you take this game with the same approach you take it from Week 1 to Week 2 to Week 13,” Jones said. “I don’t try to play the name game, who I’m going against. There’s a quarterback out there and my job is to get after him.”
Jones has been getting after quarterbacks – and offensive players – with regularity in his first four NFL games. He 19 total tackles, a team-leading three sacks, five quarterback hits and two forced fumbles, earning him the rookie of the month honor. But the challenge will be getting past two-time Pro Bowl left tackle Ryan Clady this Sunday at Gillette. Clady has given up just one quarterback hit and no sacks this season.
“Ryan Clady is a great player,” Jones said. “From my film study, he has some experience with him and it’s our job to execute.”
Another sign of maturity came when he was asked about his defensive rookie of the month honor.
2017 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2017 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Derek Rivers Becomes 1st Player Drafted by Super Bowl Champion Patriots...
- Mike Gillislee's Patriots Contract Offer Sheet Declined by Bills
- Malcolm Butler Reportedly 'Highly Unlikely' to Be Traded Despite Saints...
- Patriots Schedule 2017-18: Game-by-Game Predictions for the Entire Season
- 2017 New England Patriots Schedule: Full Listing of Dates, Times and TV...
- Chiefs vs. Patriots to Open 2017 NFL Regular Season Schedule in...
- Patriots Favored in Updated Super Bowl 52 Odds Ahead of 2017 NFL Draft