|Bill Belichick on fumbles: ‘There’s nothing more important than possession of the ball’||10.08.12 at 3:43 pm ET|
FOXBORO — Though Patriots running back Stevan Ridley turned in a 151-yard performance on the ground in Sunday’s win over the Broncos, one problem of the second-year back’s reared its ugly head when he lost a fumble in the fourth quarter.
The fumble was Ridley’s second of the season, the first of which he’s lost. Ridley’s fumble in last season’s playoff game against the Broncos cost him playing time in the team’s final two playoff games, and he entered this season with concerns about ball security.
Bill Belichick didn’t single Ridley out Monday at Gillette Stadium, saying that ball security is something he focuses on with every player who has the ball.
“We work on ball security with every player who handles the ball every week every day,” Belichick said, later adding that ball security is the “highest priority with everybody.”
It should be worth noting that Brandon Bolden also had issues with ball security in the preseason, giving the Patriots two running backs who have been extremely effective thus far (four 100-yard performances between the two of them through five games), but have a history of putting the ball on the ground. Regardless of who drops it, it’s something that Belichick views as unacceptable.
“There’s nothing ore important than possession of the ball,” Belichick said. “We can’t afford to lose it. It’s as simple as that.”
2013 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2013 NFL DRAFT
- Bill Belichick and The Greatest Coaches Ever
- New England Patriots Links 5/23/13 - Amendola, Jenkins Top Receivers at...
- Patriots Claim OT Kevin Haslam; Waive R.J. Mattes
- Patriots Spend League High $140K In Guaranteed Money For UDFAs
- New England Patriots Links 5/22/13 - Talib: OTAs About 'Getting Down the...
- The Potential Importance Of Jake Ballard
- Four Missing From Second Day Of Patriots OTAs