Target Practice: Tracking opportunities in Patriots passing game
|10.09.12 at 3:45 pm ET|
Targets have been compiled by the NFL since the start of the 2009 season, and while it remains an imperfect stat ‘ a badly thrown ball from a quarterback can often go against the record of the receiver as opposed to the quarterback ‘ it remains a good indication of the confidence level a passer might have in his pass catcher. Here’s a look at the target breakdown for the New England passing game through the first five weeks of the 2012 regular season:
WR Wes Welker: 38 catches on 52 targets
WR Brandon Lloyd: 28 catches on 45 targets
TE Rob Gronkowski: 23 catches on 34 targets
WR Julian Edelman: 10 catches on 15 targets
TE Aaron Hernandez: Six catches on eight targets
RB Stevan Ridley: Five catches on eight targets
RB Danny Woodhead: Five catches on six targets
WR Deion Branch: Three catches on five targets
RB Brandon Bolden: Two catches on two targets
TE Michael Hoomanawanui: One catch on one target
TE Kellen Winslow: One catch on two targets
TE Daniel Fells: One catch on four targets
RB Shane Vereen: One catch on two targets
TOTALS: 124 catches on 184 targets
Wide receiver: 79 catches on 117 targets
Tight end: 32 catches on 49 targets
Running back: 13 catches on 18 targets
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Mike Gillislee's Patriots Contract Offer Sheet Declined by Bills
- Malcolm Butler Reportedly 'Highly Unlikely' to Be Traded Despite Saints...
- Patriots Schedule 2017-18: Game-by-Game Predictions for the Entire Season
- 2017 New England Patriots Schedule: Full Listing of Dates, Times and TV...
- Chiefs vs. Patriots to Open 2017 NFL Regular Season Schedule in...
- Patriots Favored in Updated Super Bowl 52 Odds Ahead of 2017 NFL Draft
- After Aaron Hernandez Suicide, Victim's Family Speaks: 'I Just Started...