Bill Belichick insists: ‘It’s nothing personal… just competition’ with the Jets
|10.19.12 at 7:25 pm ET|
FOXBORO — Bill Belichick can get teased and tempted a lot by reporters at his Wednesday and Friday press conferences.
Just over 48 hours from taking on the Jets, Belichick was asked an age-old question by Albert Breer of the NFL Network.
Does he hate the Jets?
Belichick didn’t flinch but he did pause ever so slightly before offering up a calculated response.
“We have a competition each week against whoever the next team on our schedule is,” said the man who left the Jets without a head coach in Jan. 2000. “So whoever that is, that’s who we compete against. It’s nothing personal; it’s just competition.”
Breer persisted. He asked Belichick if he noticed anything different around the building or from the players in a week when you have a familiar opponent with whom you have a lot of history.
“It’s a familiar opponent that we have a lot of history with,” Belichick said.
So nothing extra, Breer continued.
“It’s a familiar opponent that we have a lot of history with,” Belichick said. “There are other teams you can put in that category. Then there are other teams that wouldn’t be in that category, like Seattle.”
This week, Rex Ryan showered Belichick with glowing praise. But the Jets coach also added – with a wink – that he would give Belichick his best shot. What does Belichick think of that flattery from a coaching colleague?
“I have a lot of respect for Rex,” Belichick said. “I think we have a good relationship. I see him from time to time at the owners meetings and Indy combine and stuff like that. But, I know on Sunday he’ll be doing the best job he can for his team. I’ll be doing the best job I can for my team. We’ll see what happens. But, I think there is good mutual respect there. We had his brother on our staff here. I’ve known his dad for a long time. It’s just competition.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...
- 10 NFL Combine Participants New England Patriots Fans Should Know