Chandler Jones: Rex Ryan ‘showed a lot of interest’ in me
|10.19.12 at 2:10 pm ET|
FOXBORO — Last April, before the Patriots and Bill Belichick selected pass rushing beast Chandler Jones in the first round (21st overall), there was a good chance Rex Ryan was going to take the prospect out of Syracuse.
The Jets eventually selected another pass rusher in Quinton Coples with the 16th overall pick. But Ryan and the Jets were certainly interested, according to Jones, who acknowledged as much on Friday, just 48 hours before his first game against the Jets.
“I haven’t really even seen any of the press conference, to be honest,” Jones said when asked if he saw Ryan’s praise of Belichick this week. “But from what I know, Rex Ryan is a great coach. I sat down and interviewed with him over the draft. He’s a good coach. He’s very up-to-date on things. He’s always asking me about my brother [Jon “Bones” Jones] and the UFC fighting. He’s a good coach. Rex is a great coach.
“He’s a good person.”
So, what was it like to be interviewed by the man who always wears a smile?
“I went up there and he sat me down and we went over a few of schemes, basically what every team does with you, and talked about my brother for a little bit but that’s about it,” Jones said. “They showed a lot of interest, showed a lot of interest.”
As for experiencing the AFC rivalry between the two for the first time, Jones was more low-key – playing it right down the middle.
“We’re 3-3 right now,” Jones said. “That’s not where we want to be. Personally, that’s not where I would want to be. You’ve got to win. You go into every week with the same goal, to win, win the football game. That’s every week. You have that sense of urgency every week, to win the game, and that’s our goal.”
“We just want to win. If you want to call this a big game, personally for me, it’ll be a big game. That’s my mentality every week, so yeah, against the Jets, it’s a big game.”
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Aaron Hernandez May Be Cleared in Double-Murder Trial Due to Deleted Text
- Robert Kraft Comments on Tom Brady's Super Bowl Jersey Being Returned
- President Donald Trump to Host Patriots at White House on April 19
- Darrelle Revis Reportedly Expected to Return to Patriots If He Plays Next...
- Biggest Needs New England Patriots Have Yet to Address This Offseason
- Super Bowl 49 Champion Bryan Stork Retires from NFL at 26 Years Old
- Tom Brady Super Bowl 51 Jersey Theft Timeline Revealed on Video