|Visanthe Shiancoe: ‘I’m excited to get out there’||10.24.12 at 12:16 pm ET|
FOXBORO — It’s a big week for Visanthe Shiancoe. The tight end returned to the practice field on Tuesday for the first time this season. And this weekend, the 32-year-old will be heading to England. The only player on the Patriots’ roster born in Great Britain — Birmingham, to be precise — he’s excited for both.
“I’m excited, man. I’m excited to get out there,” Shiancoe said before practice on Wednesday. “I’ll be even more excited to play. I can’t wait for that.”
Shiancoe, who was placed on injured reserve with designation to return on Sept. 5, returned to practice Tuesday. Per the CBA, under the newly created designation Shiancoe was eligible to return to the practice field following Week 6 action, and is eligible to starting playing in games after Week 8. The team has 21 days to add him to the active roster, or he must be placed on IR for the remainder of the season.
The Patriots signed Shiancoe to a one-year deal in July worth $1.2 million, with $400,000 in guaranteed money and $800,000 in incentives. Shiancoe has been in the league for nine seasons, including the last five with the Vikings. The 6-foot-4, 250-pounder has 243 catches for 2,677 yards and 27 touchdowns in his NFL career, including 56 catches for 566 yards and 11 touchdowns in 2009, his best year as a pro.
2013 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2013 NFL DRAFT
- Patriots Sign Fourth Round Pick Josh Boyce
- Report: Patriots Restructure Julian Edelman's Contract
- New England Patriots Links 5/24/13 - Chandler Jones 'Ramping Up' for Year...
- Bill Belichick and The Greatest Coaches Ever
- New England Patriots Links 5/23/13 - Amendola, Jenkins Top Receivers at...
- Patriots Claim OT Kevin Haslam; Waive R.J. Mattes
- Patriots Spend League High $140K In Guaranteed Money For UDFAs