Key Moment: Pats take advantage of botched field goal
|10.28.12 at 4:15 pm ET|
With the Patriots leading 21-7 in the second quarter, and the game quickly getting away from the Rams, Jeff Fisher had one final chance to keep possession in Patriots territory and push toward the goal line.
But instead of going for it on fourth-and-5 at the New England 35, Fisher came out of the two-minute warning and decided to have his kicking sensation Greg Zuerlein attempt a 54-yard field goal in the rain and wet turf. Zuerlein never got the chance as Johnny Hekker couldn’t handle the high snap from Jake McQuaide.
The Patriots smothered Hekker and turned the ball over to Tom Brady at the Patriots 46 . Brady had no problem, thanks to the third pass interference call against Bradley Fletcher in the end zone, in driving the Pats to their fourth touchdown in as many drives, capped off by a 1-yard plunge by Stevan Ridley with 14 seconds left in the half. That score made it 28-7 at the half. Game over.
Patriots respond to brutal defense on first St. Louis possession. Five plays into the game, the Patriots secondary allowed a 50-yard touchdown pass to Chris Givens, the 37th time this season the Patriots have allowed a play of over 20 yards, the most in the NFL. Down 7-0, Brady led the Patriots down the field 78 yard in eight plays, capped by an 18-yard TD strike to a wide open Brandon Lloyd. That tied the game and the Patriots found their bearings on defense thanks to three different blitz looks on the next drive.
2013 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2013 NFL DRAFT
- New England Patriots Links 6/19/13 - Patriots Dominate on First Down
- Police Searched Aaron Hernandez' Home For More than Two Hours
- Aaron Hernandez Questioned, Has Home Searched after Killing
- Report: Rob Gronkowski Back Surgery Completed and Successful
- Fantasy Outlook: Patriots RB Stevan Ridley
- The Top 20 Most Memorable Patriots Moments of 2012: Number 5
- New England Patriots Links 6/18/13 - Shane Vereen: Offense Has 'Sour...