Bill Belichick on Aqib Talib: ‘I think he’s a good player’
|11.05.12 at 2:00 pm ET|
In his first public comments since the Patriots acquired cornerback Aqib Talib from Tampa Bay last week, Bill Belichick was willing to concede he thought Talib was “a good player,” but that was pretty much it.
On a conference call with the media on Monday afternoon, the Patriots coach — as well as defensive coordinator Matt Patricia — said their focus was more about the Bills and less about Talib, who won’t return from a four-game suspension for violating the league’s drug policy until after this week’s game against Buffalo.
‘Right now, really, our focus is on the Bills, and the players that will be preparing for the game, and the players that are here at this time,’ Belichick said when asked about Talib. ‘So we’ll take that as it comes. When he gets here, we’ll deal with it.’
‘I think he’s a good player,’ Belichick later said, adding that they were able to use the intel they gathered on him as part of the pre-draft process in 2008, as well as what they saw with their own eyes when the Patriots and Bucs held joint practices this summer.
Patricia was asked about his thoughts on Talib, and what sort of role he could have with the team once he returns from suspension.
‘I think we’re obviously going to focus on Buffalo and who’s on the team right now, but he’s a good player and when we do get a chance to work with him, we’ll address those issues at the time,’ he said.
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scarnecchia Has Tall Task Developing Pats' Young Offensive Line
- What Are Explanations for Patriots' Failure to Address Hole at RB?
- Patriots: Way-Too-Early 53-Man Roster and Depth Chart Predictions
- Kraft Comments on Brady's Deflategate Suspension Being Upheld
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 3 Predictions
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 2 Predictions
- Patriots Draft Picks: Results, Analysis and Grades