Target Practice: Tracking opportunities in Patriots passing game
|11.13.12 at 1:08 am ET|
Targets have been compiled by the NFL since the start of the 2009 season, and while it remains an imperfect stat ‘ a badly thrown ball from a quarterback can often go against the record of the receiver as opposed to the quarterback ‘ it remains a good indication of the confidence level a passer might have in his pass catcher. Here’s a look at the target breakdown for the New England passing game through the first nine weeks of the 2012 regular season:
WR Wes Welker: 66 catches on 94 targets
TE Rob Gronkowski: 46 catches on 68 targets
WR Brandon Lloyd: 42 catches on 75 targets
RB Danny Woodhead: 23 catches on 28 targets
TE Aaron Hernandez: 17 catches on 24 targets
WR Julian Edelman: 13 catches on 19 targets
WR Deion Branch: Nine catches on 20 targets
RB Stevan Ridley: Six catches on 11 targets
RB Shane Vereen: Four catches on five targets
RB Brandon Bolden: Two catches on two targets
TE Daniel Fells: Two catches on six targets
TE Michael Hoomanawanui: Two catches on three targets
TE Kellen Winslow: One catch on two targets
TOTALS: 233 catches on 357 targets
Wide receiver: 130 catches on 208 targets
Tight end: 68 catches on 103 targets
Running back: 35 catches on 46 targets
2017 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2017 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Conor McDermott NFL Draft 2017: Scouting Report for Seattle Seahawks'...
- Deatrich Wise Jr NFL Draft 2017: Scouting Report for New England...
- Brandin Cooks' Contract Option Reportedly Exercised by Patriots
- Derek Rivers Becomes 1st Player Drafted by Super Bowl Champion Patriots...
- Mike Gillislee's Patriots Contract Offer Sheet Declined by Bills
- Malcolm Butler Reportedly 'Highly Unlikely' to Be Traded Despite Saints...
- Patriots Schedule 2017-18: Game-by-Game Predictions for the Entire Season