Bruce Arians on AFC defensive player of the week Darius Butler: ‘I’m really pleased we have him’
|11.14.12 at 2:33 pm ET|
FOXBORO — Tom Brady and the Patriots hit the practice field Wednesday with the knowledge that one of their former players will be lining up at one of the most important positions on the field on Sunday.
Colts interim coach Bruce Arians announced Wednesday that cornerback Darius Butler will again be making the switch from right to left corner, filling the spot vacated by the injured Vontae Davis, who is missing his third game with a knee injury.
Butler will certainly be coming in with some momentum as he intercepted Blaine Gabbert twice, returning one for a touchdown, while recovering a fumble. Those achievements earned him AFC defensive player of the week honors on Wednesday in the wake of the Colts’ 27-10 win over the Jaguars.
“I’m really pleased that we have him,” Arians said. “He’s a playmaker and had a great game. He’s obviously AFC defensive player of the week and builds great confidence for him going against the challenge he has this week in going up there.”
Butler, of course, is a name well known in New England, coming to the Patriots as a second-round pick in 2009. He played here two seasons before being cut in training camp before the 2011 season. He played last season with the Panthers before being waived this August. He was picked up by the Colts on Sept. 25 and has played four games so far.
The Patriots believed so much in him that not only did they spend a second-round pick on him, they gave him a four-year, $4.325 million deal, including roughly $2 million in guaranteed money. Butler is still technically on the Patriots’ books this season to the tune of $542,500 of dead money toward the cap.
All of which sets up quite the storyline this Sunday as he figures to draw Pats receiver Brandon Lloyd.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...
- 10 NFL Combine Participants New England Patriots Fans Should Know
- Devin McCourty Comments on Decision to Skip White House Visit with Donald...