First-quarter notes: Colts 14, Patriots 7
|11.18.12 at 4:58 pm ET|
FOXBORO — One quarter is in the books here at Gillette Stadium, and the Colts have a 14-7 lead. Here are a few quick notes:
‘¢Defensively, the Patriots opened the game with Aqib Talib at left corner and Kyle Arrington on the right side, with Devin McCourty at safety. They changed coverages at times throughout Indy’s first drive of the afternoon — and it appeared that most of the time, Talib operated in man coverage against Wayne. (Arrington was called for two penalties in the first quarter — one was declined — and was eventually subbed out in favor of Alfonzo Dennard.)
‘¢Regardless of the coverage, the Colts got on the board first with a seven-play, 80-yard drive that took 4:11 and was highlighted (or lowlighted?) by a 40-yard pass interference penalty on Arrington that set up Indy for its first score of the game, a one-yard run from Delone Carter.
‘¢New England answered quickly, as Tom Brady got things going with an 18-yard completion over the middle to Julian Edelman (Edelman’s longest reception of the season). That was followed up by a 36-yarder from Brady to Rob Gronkowski that got New England deep into Indy territory. Two plats later, Brady went back to Gronk for the touchdown pass, a 4-yarder that tied the game with 7:07 left in the first quarter.
‘¢Defensive end Chandler Jones went down with what appeared to be a right ankle injury midway through the first quarter. With Jones out, the Patriots flipped Rob Ninkovich to the other side and Jermaine Cunningham came into the game at the other defensive end spot.
‘¢The Colts re-took the lead on their second series, as Luck delivered a laser-beam to the back of the end zone to T.Y. Hilton — who appeared to beat Talib — to put the exclamation point on a 10-play, 86-yard drive that made it 14-7 late in the first quarter.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Says He Hopes Martellus Bennett 'Breaks the Bank' in Free...
- Rob Gronkowski Comments on Roger Goodell, Future in Football, More
- Best and Worst Moves New England Patriots Can Make This Offseason
- Bill Belichick Named Potential Witness in Aaron Hernandez's Double-Murder...
- Mike Freeman's 10-Point Stance: Patriots' Big Trade Bait, NFL's Athletic...
- Martellus Bennett Reportedly to Test Free Agency, Patriots Exit Possible
- Tom Brady's Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Valued at $500,000 in Police...