Key Moment: Aqib Talib’s 59-yard interception return for touchdown in Patriots debut
|11.18.12 at 7:29 pm ET|
For the Patriots, the key moment in Sunday’s 59-24 win over the Colts came with 11:18 remaining in the second quarter. The Patriots had tied the game at 14-14 less than a minute earlier on Julian Edelman’s 68-yard punt return for a TD when the Colts faced a second-and-1 at their own 31-yard line.
Vince Wilfork (who had a terrific game with a pair of tipped passes and two hits on Colts QB Andrew Luck) was able to get through the middle and put pressure on Luck on the second-down play, and the quarterback perhaps rushed and threw high over the middle to an open Reggie Wayne. The ball went right in the hands of Aqib Talib (making his debut with the Patriots), who hauled in the pass at the Colts’ 41-yard line. Talib quickly made Dwayne Allen miss with a cut to his right and got to the outside, cutting back to the middle of the field and crossing over to the left side before finding the end zone for his fourth career touchdown. Talib was helped by Steve Gregory, who had a block on Wayne inside the 10-yard line.
Luck and the Colts were having considerable success on offense before the Talib pick and score, putting up 14 points in the first quarter. But they struggled as a unit after the play, scoring just 10 points the rest of the game as Luck often looked uncomfortable, turning the ball over three times, including an 87-yard INT TD return for Alfonzo Dennard.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Jacoby Brissett, Julian Edelman, LeGarrette Blount Post-Week 3 Fantasy...
- Despite Injuries, Patriots Already September's Biggest Winners in the NFL
- Houston Texans vs. New England Patriots Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL Pick