Key Moment: Aqib Talib’s 59-yard interception return for touchdown in Patriots debut
|11.18.12 at 7:29 pm ET|
For the Patriots, the key moment in Sunday’s 59-24 win over the Colts came with 11:18 remaining in the second quarter. The Patriots had tied the game at 14-14 less than a minute earlier on Julian Edelman’s 68-yard punt return for a TD when the Colts faced a second-and-1 at their own 31-yard line.
Vince Wilfork (who had a terrific game with a pair of tipped passes and two hits on Colts QB Andrew Luck) was able to get through the middle and put pressure on Luck on the second-down play, and the quarterback perhaps rushed and threw high over the middle to an open Reggie Wayne. The ball went right in the hands of Aqib Talib (making his debut with the Patriots), who hauled in the pass at the Colts’ 41-yard line. Talib quickly made Dwayne Allen miss with a cut to his right and got to the outside, cutting back to the middle of the field and crossing over to the left side before finding the end zone for his fourth career touchdown. Talib was helped by Steve Gregory, who had a block on Wayne inside the 10-yard line.
Luck and the Colts were having considerable success on offense before the Talib pick and score, putting up 14 points in the first quarter. But they struggled as a unit after the play, scoring just 10 points the rest of the game as Luck often looked uncomfortable, turning the ball over three times, including an 87-yard INT TD return for Alfonzo Dennard.
- Alfonzo Dennard's Sentence Extended
- New England Patriots resign WR Austin Collie
- New England Patriots Links 12/05/13 - Alfonzo Dennard to Find Out Legal...
- 2013 Week 13 Patriots Power Rankings
- Patriots Are Reliant on Rookies, But Still Winning
- New England Patriots Links 12/04/13 - Patriots Preparing For All Browns...
- NFL Playoff Picture: Where do the Patriots Stand After 12 Games?