Key Moment: Patriots score 21 points in 52 seconds against Jets
|11.22.12 at 11:35 pm ET|
The key moment in the Patriots’ blowout win over the Jets Thursday was a 52-second moment in which New England scored 21 points. Excluding the extra points, it was a span of five plays in the second quarter that got them touchdowns from Shane Vereen, Steve Gregory and Julian Edelman, and helped them build the lead to 35-0.
The Pats began their rapid-fire scoring after Gregory recovered a Shonn Greene fumble to give New England the ball at their own 17 yard line. The offense took it from their, with Tom Brady dumping a swing pass to Vereen that the speedy back took to the house for an 83-yard touchdown. Bart Scott gave chase as Vereen took off, but it was clear early in the play that he was gone.
After a touchback on the kickoff and a Jets first done on a pass to Clyde Gates, Sanchez ran into Jets guard Brandon Moore, whom Vince Wilfork had pushed back into the quarterback, causing a fumble that Gregory scooped up and ran into the endzone.
The kickoff from Stephen Gostkowski yielded yet another fumble, as Devin McCourty forced Joe McKnight to commit the Jets’ third fumble in as many possessions. Edelman recovered it at the Jets’ 22 yard line and ran it back to give the Pats three touchdowns in 52 seconds.
The fumbles from Sanchez and McKnight made for just two of New York’s five fumbles (four of which were lost) on the day.
All of this came as part of a 35-point second quarter, as the teams concluded the first quarter scoreless. The teams hit the half with the Pats leading, 35-3, and the closest the game would get was when the Jets made it 35-12 in the third quarter.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...
- Marcus Cannon, Patriots Agree to New Contract: Latest Details and...
- Tom Brady Became 5th QB in NFL History to Throw for at Least 60,000 Yards
- Patriots vs. Jets: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Recovery from Back...
- Julian Edelman Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Foot and Return