Eagles claim Greg Salas off waivers
|11.23.12 at 4:59 pm ET|
FOXBORO — If the Patriots had designs on clearing Greg Salas through waivers and adding him back to their roster on Friday, they will be disappointed.
The Philadelphia Eagles announced on Friday they had claimed the 24-year-old receiver off waivers Friday and added him to their roster. Salas takes the spot of Mardy Gilyard, who was released on Friday. The Jets also made a claim on Salas but the Eagles were awarded the receiver based on their 3-7 record. The Jets are now 4-7. The Patriots released Salas on Thursday, just hours before their game with the Jets to make room for activating offensive lineman Markus Zusevics off the non-football injury list and adding him to the 53-man roster.
Salas was signed by the Patriots to the 53-man roster from the practice squad on Nov. 17 and played as a reserve last Sunday vs. Indianapolis. He was originally acquired by New England in a trade with St. Louis on Sept. 1, 2012, in exchange for an undisclosed future draft choice.
Salas dressed for the 2012 season-opener at Tennessee but did not play and was inactive vs. Arizona in the home-opener. Salas was released on Sept. 19 and signed to the practice squad on Sept. 20. Salas was originally drafted by St. Louis in the fourth round (112th overall) of the 2011 NFL Draft out of Hawaii. The 6-foot-1, 209-pounder played in six games for the Rams last season and finished with 27 receptions for 269 yards. His season was limited to six games due to a leg injury.
2016 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2016 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Scarnecchia Has Tall Task Developing Pats' Young Offensive Line
- What Are Explanations for Patriots' Failure to Address Hole at RB?
- Patriots: Way-Too-Early 53-Man Roster and Depth Chart Predictions
- Kraft Comments on Brady's Deflategate Suspension Being Upheld
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 3 Predictions
- Patriots Mock Draft and Big Board: Updated Day 2 Predictions
- Patriots Draft Picks: Results, Analysis and Grades