Shane Vereen: ‘I was a little surprised’ to break free on 83-yard TD
|11.23.12 at 2:24 am ET|
EAST RUTHERFORD — Shane Vereen – with a big assist from Wes Welker – broke free for a huge touchdown on Thursday night, the touchdown that sparked the 21-point binge in 52 seconds for the Patriots. And it began innocently enough. Tom Brady threw to him on a wheel route out of the backfield, spotting him open on the left sideline.
The key to the play was Wes Welker coming over and chipping linebacker Bart Scott just long enough to spring him down the sideline. Scott was shown on TV huffing and puffing, trying in vain to catch him.
“He had a wheel route and they carried Wes and [Brandon Lloyd] on the outside,” Brady explained. “They [Jets defense] just carried them up the field and there was a lot of space. Once I threw it to him, he’s so fast. He can outrun those guys. He caught it up the sideline and it was nice seeing the back of his jersey running all the way down the field. He opened it up and it was a great play.”
“I was a little surprised,” he said. “I thought the cornerback was on me, but the receivers ran (the coverage) off and I was able to finish the play. As soon as I turned, the ball was on me.”
As for starting a 21-point outburst?
“I’ve never seen it before personally. But, that’s what happens when you play hard,” Vereen said.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Patriots vs. Rams: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Tom Brady Passes Peyton Manning for Most Wins All-Time by a QB
- Danny Amendola Injury: Updates on Patriots WR's Ankle and Return
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...