Target Practice: Tracking opportunities in Patriots passing game
|12.18.12 at 4:37 pm ET|
Targets have been compiled by the NFL since the start of the 2009 season, and while it remains an imperfect stat ‘ a badly thrown ball from a quarterback can often go against the record of the receiver as opposed to the quarterback ‘ it remains a good indication of the confidence level a passer might have in his pass catcher. Here’s a look at the target breakdown for the New England passing game through the first 14 games of the 2012 regular season:
WR Wes Welker: 100 catches on 151 targets
WR Brandon Lloyd: 67 catches on 114 targets
TE Rob Gronkowski: 53 catches on 75 targets
TE Aaron Hernandez: 45 catches on 70 targets
RB Danny Woodhead: 33 catches on 45 targets
WR Julian Edelman: 21 catches on 32 targets
WR Deion Branch: 13 catches on 25 targets
RB Shane Vereen: Eight catches on 13 targets
RB Stevan Ridley: Six catches on 13 targets
TE Michael Hoomanawanui: Three catches on four targets
TE Daniel Fells: Three catches on nine targets
RB Brandon Bolden: Two catches on two targets
TE Kellen Winslow: One catch on two targets
WR Donte’ Stallworth: One catch on two targets
TE Visanthe Shiancoe: Zero catches on one target
TOTALS: 356 catches on 558 targets
Wide receiver: 202 catches on 324 targets
Tight end: 105 catches on 161 targets
Running back: 49 catches on 73 targets
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Mike Gillislee's Patriots Contract Offer Sheet Declined by Bills
- Malcolm Butler Reportedly 'Highly Unlikely' to Be Traded Despite Saints...
- Patriots Schedule 2017-18: Game-by-Game Predictions for the Entire Season
- 2017 New England Patriots Schedule: Full Listing of Dates, Times and TV...
- Chiefs vs. Patriots to Open 2017 NFL Regular Season Schedule in...
- Patriots Favored in Updated Super Bowl 52 Odds Ahead of 2017 NFL Draft
- After Aaron Hernandez Suicide, Victim's Family Speaks: 'I Just Started...