Third-quarter notes: Patriots 16, Jaguars 13
|12.23.12 at 3:16 pm ET|
Three quarters are in the books, and New England now holds a 16-13 lead. Here are a few quick notes:
It was a relatively uneventful third quarter, as both teams continued to struggle offensively — since going up 13-3, the Jaguars have punted the ball four times and added an interception into the mix (as well as an end-of-half drive). Meanwhile, the Patriots were able to take the lead for the first time all afternoon with an early field goal.
The Patriots took their first lead of the day on their first drive of the third quarter with a nice sequence that included passes to Brandon Lloyd of 16, 14 and nine yards. New England wasn’t able to punch it in — Jeremy Mincey made a nice pass breakup on a ball for Danny Woodhead — and settled for a 38-yard field goal on its opening drive to make it 16-13 with 11:48 remaining in the third quarter.
On their final drive of the fourth quarter, the Patriots were able to get down to the Jags’ one-yard line with a nice drive that included a sweet 25-yard pass play from Tom Brady to Wes Welker. (Welker also added a nine-yard gain on an end-around.)
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Tom Brady Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Knee and Return
- Alan Branch Wins Suspension Appeal: Latest Details and Reaction
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...
- Marcus Cannon, Patriots Agree to New Contract: Latest Details and...
- Tom Brady Became 5th QB in NFL History to Throw for at Least 60,000 Yards
- Patriots vs. Jets: Full Report Card Grades for New England