Target Practice: Tracking opportunities in Patriots passing game
|12.24.12 at 1:37 pm ET|
Targets have been compiled by the NFL since the start of the 2009 season, and while it remains an imperfect stat ‘ a badly thrown ball from a quarterback can often go against the record of the receiver as opposed to the quarterback ‘ it remains a good indication of the confidence level a passer might have in his pass catcher. Here’s a look at the target breakdown for the New England passing game through the first 15 games of the 2012 regular season:
WR Wes Welker: 110 catches on 163 targets
WR Brandon Lloyd: 73 catches on 126 targets
TE Rob Gronkowski: 53 catches on 75 targets
TE Aaron Hernandez: 46 catches on 75 targets
RB Danny Woodhead: 35 catches on 50 targets
WR Julian Edelman: 21 catches on 32 targets
WR Deion Branch: 15 catches on 28 targets
RB Shane Vereen: Eight catches on 13 targets
RB Stevan Ridley: Six catches on 14 targets
TE Michael Hoomanawanui: Five catches on six targets
TE Daniel Fells: Four catches on 10 targets
RB Brandon Bolden: Two catches on two targets
TE Kellen Winslow: One catch on two targets
WR Donte’ Stallworth: One catch on two targets
TE Visanthe Shiancoe: Zero catches on one target
TOTALS: 380 catches on 599 targets
Wide receiver: 220 catches on 351 targets
Tight end: 109 catches on 169 targets
Running back: 51 catches on 79 targets
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...
- Marcus Cannon, Patriots Agree to New Contract: Latest Details and...
- Tom Brady Became 5th QB in NFL History to Throw for at Least 60,000 Yards
- Patriots vs. Jets: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Recovery from Back...
- Julian Edelman Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Foot and Return