Reports: Rob Gronkowski having second surgery Monday on his left arm
|01.14.13 at 12:19 pm ET|
FOXBORO — According to multiple reports and sources, Rob Gronkowski was scheduled to have surgery Monday to repair his left forearm, which was re-injured in Sunday’s win over the Texans. He is out for the remainder of the playoffs, a fact Bill Belichick all but conceded Monday during his conference call with reporters.
“It’s disappointing to not have Rob available, but I thought that Shane [Vereen] and Hooman [Michael Hoomanawanui] both did a great job of stepping into the game yesterday and playing a significant role in terms of number of plays and their production, maybe more than was anticipated,” Belichick said.
When pressed further about the risk of putting Gronkowski out on the field in a compromised situation, Belichick refused to elaborate. Belichick was asked if Gronkowski’s arm 100 percent coming into last night’s game to the best of his knowledge.
“I covered that [Sunday],” Belichick said. “He was cleared medically. I don’t have anything to add to it.”
Was he told of any added risk in putting him out there?
“I have nothing to add to it,” Belichick said.
Gronkowski suffered the latest injury on New England’s second drive of the game when he dove to make a catch on the deep right sideline in front of the Patriots’ bench. Wearing a white protective wrap on the forearm, he landed out of bounds on the arm and immediately went to the bench, wincing in pain. He was tended to by team doctor Tom Gill before leaving to have x-rays, which showed the forearm, broken on Nov. 18, was re-injured.
Gronkowski had surgery on Nov. 19 and missed five games before returning on Dec. 30 against the Dolphins, catching a touchdown from Tom Brady.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Aaron Hernandez's Fiancee Testifies in Double Homicide Trial
- Predicting New England Patriots' 2017 Starters After 1st Wave of Free...
- Joe Mixon Reportedly Removed from Patriots' Draft Board Due to Assault...
- Roger Goodell to Attend Patriots Home Opener, 1st Foxboro Trip Since...
- Robert Kraft 'Would Love' for Darrelle Revis to Return to Patriots
- Ideal Second-Round Fits for New England Patriots in 2017 NFL Draft
- Robert Kraft Discusses Restricted Free-Agent Malcolm Butler's Contract...