Shane Vereen: ‘I come into the game ready to go’
|01.14.13 at 2:20 am ET|
Since then, Vereen has carried the ball 19 times for 92 yards while catching one pass for four yards in four games, but no touchdowns.
But Vereen came rushing into the game on the Patriots’ second offensive play of the day Sunday against the Texans when Danny Woodhead injured his left thumb on a rush into the line.
‘I don’t come into the game knowing how much anyone is going to play,” Vereen said. “I come into the game ready to go and if my number is called I do my best for the team. Coaches just do a great job keeping us fresh and ready to go.
‘We hate to lose Woody. He is such a key part of our offense, but at the same time all of the running backs hold ourselves accountable to be able to step up when somebody does go down.’
Vereen would more than step up. He would bust out for three touchdowns, two receiving and one rushing, and tie the Patriots franchise record for touchdowns in a playoff game, held by Rob Gronkowski and Curtis Martin. His final TD came on a 33-yard “go route” down the left sideline when he was lineup against a linebacker.
‘Yes and no. I knew that the matchup was in my favor,” Vereen said. “But at the same time they are great defenders as well. So I have to do a great job at getting open. ‘
Now, Vereen and the Patriots have a rematch with the Ravens in the AFC championship.
‘It is going to be a great match up,” Vereen said. “It always is between us and the Ravens. We are going to have to go to work this week and get ready to play a great team.’
2017 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2017 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Mike Gillislee's Patriots Contract Offer Sheet Declined by Bills
- Malcolm Butler Reportedly 'Highly Unlikely' to Be Traded Despite Saints...
- Patriots Schedule 2017-18: Game-by-Game Predictions for the Entire Season
- 2017 New England Patriots Schedule: Full Listing of Dates, Times and TV...
- Chiefs vs. Patriots to Open 2017 NFL Regular Season Schedule in...
- Patriots Favored in Updated Super Bowl 52 Odds Ahead of 2017 NFL Draft
- After Aaron Hernandez Suicide, Victim's Family Speaks: 'I Just Started...