Shane Vereen: ‘I come into the game ready to go’
|01.14.13 at 2:20 am ET|
Since then, Vereen has carried the ball 19 times for 92 yards while catching one pass for four yards in four games, but no touchdowns.
But Vereen came rushing into the game on the Patriots’ second offensive play of the day Sunday against the Texans when Danny Woodhead injured his left thumb on a rush into the line.
‘I don’t come into the game knowing how much anyone is going to play,” Vereen said. “I come into the game ready to go and if my number is called I do my best for the team. Coaches just do a great job keeping us fresh and ready to go.
‘We hate to lose Woody. He is such a key part of our offense, but at the same time all of the running backs hold ourselves accountable to be able to step up when somebody does go down.’
Vereen would more than step up. He would bust out for three touchdowns, two receiving and one rushing, and tie the Patriots franchise record for touchdowns in a playoff game, held by Rob Gronkowski and Curtis Martin. His final TD came on a 33-yard “go route” down the left sideline when he was lineup against a linebacker.
‘Yes and no. I knew that the matchup was in my favor,” Vereen said. “But at the same time they are great defenders as well. So I have to do a great job at getting open. ‘
Now, Vereen and the Patriots have a rematch with the Ravens in the AFC championship.
‘It is going to be a great match up,” Vereen said. “It always is between us and the Ravens. We are going to have to go to work this week and get ready to play a great team.’
Latest from Bleacher Report
- New England Patriots vs. Buffalo Bills Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL Pick
- Dion Lewis Injury: Updates on Patriots RB's Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Rob Gronkowski Keeps Rolling as the Patriots' Offensive Pillar
- Patriots vs. Steelers: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- NFL Power Rankings: Breaking Down Sunday's Action Ahead of Week 7
- Patriots vs. Bengals: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Illness: Updates on Patriots TE's Status and Return