Shane Vereen on M&M: Pats RBs enjoy friendly competition
|01.14.13 at 12:38 pm ET|
Running back Shane Vereen, one of the heroes of the Patriots’ 41-28 victory over the Texans on Sunday, joined Mut & Merloni at Gillette Stadium on Monday to talk about his three-touchdown performance.
Vereen delivered the knockout blow Sunday, hauling in a 33-yard touchdown pass along the sideline in the fourth quarter.
“It was a favorable matchup,” he said of having a linebacker covering him. “It was what we practiced all week, and we were able to hit it in the game.”
Discussing the Patriots’ complex offense, Vereen said it present challenges trying to stay on the same page as the quarterback.
“It’s tough, because you’ve got to keep up with Tom Brady, who’s a 13-year vet, arguably the greatest quarterback,” Vereen said. “It’s tough sometimes to keep up with him. We go over so much throughout the week that in the game it kind of clicks and is like second nature.”
Vereen is one of a handful of young running backs on the team, and he said it’s a friendly battle to see who can contribute each week.
“It’s great competition,” he said. “We’re so close and it’s such a great group. We want each other to do well. We don’t really care who’s in the game. As long as we’re executing, as long as whoever’s in the game is doing well, we’re happy and the team is happy because we’re getting W’s.”
Asked about Ravens linebacker Brendon Ayanbadejo‘s critical tweets regarding the Patriots’ hurry-up offense, Vereen said he’s not concerned.
“You keep it in your mind all week and you take care of it on Sunday,” he said.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Martellus Bennett Injury: Updates on Patriots TE's Ankle and Return
- Tom Brady Says He Has No Interest in Pursuing Coaching Career
- New England Patriots vs. Buffalo Bills Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL Pick
- Dion Lewis Injury: Updates on Patriots RB's Recovery from Knee Surgery
- Rob Gronkowski Keeps Rolling as the Patriots' Offensive Pillar
- Patriots vs. Steelers: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- NFL Power Rankings: Breaking Down Sunday's Action Ahead of Week 7