Alfonzo Dennard absence at practice due to Nebraska court appearance
|01.17.13 at 1:06 pm ET|
Patriots cornerback Alfonzo Dennard was back at practice on Thursday after missing Wednesday because he was attending a required pretrial hearing in Nebraska related to his felony arrest last April for allegedly assaulting a police officer. On Wednesday, the Patriots listed Dennard as not participating in practice for non-injury reasons.
Dennard, who played at the University of Nebraska, flew out to appear at the District Court of Lancaster County after being charged for an April 21, 2012 arrest, which also included two related misdemeanors outside a Lincoln, Neb. bar. He was charged with punching a police officer during a disturbance.
The court documents from Wednesday indicate a trial date has been officially set for Feb. 11, 2013, ensuring it will occur after the NFL season, which ends with Super Bowl XLVII on Feb. 3 in New Orleans. Dennard had his trial delayed in July and again in November.
Dennard was projected as NFL-caliber corner out of Nebraska but his value slipped with the arrest shortly before the NFL draft. The Patriots selected him in the seventh round. He played 10 games this season, starting seven and recording 35 tackles and three interceptions.
He started and had three tackles and a forced fumble against the Texans last Sunday in the AFC divisional round.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Robert Kraft Comments on Tom Brady's Super Bowl Jersey Being Returned
- President Donald Trump to Host Patriots at White House on April 19
- Darrelle Revis Reportedly Expected to Return to Patriots If He Plays Next...
- Biggest Needs New England Patriots Have Yet to Address This Offseason
- Super Bowl 49 Champion Bryan Stork Retires from NFL at 26 Years Old
- Tom Brady Super Bowl 51 Jersey Theft Timeline Revealed on Video
- Photos of Tom Brady's Previously Missing Super Bowl 51 Jersey Revealed