Alfonzo Dennard absence at practice due to Nebraska court appearance
|01.17.13 at 1:06 pm ET|
Patriots cornerback Alfonzo Dennard was back at practice on Thursday after missing Wednesday because he was attending a required pretrial hearing in Nebraska related to his felony arrest last April for allegedly assaulting a police officer. On Wednesday, the Patriots listed Dennard as not participating in practice for non-injury reasons.
Dennard, who played at the University of Nebraska, flew out to appear at the District Court of Lancaster County after being charged for an April 21, 2012 arrest, which also included two related misdemeanors outside a Lincoln, Neb. bar. He was charged with punching a police officer during a disturbance.
The court documents from Wednesday indicate a trial date has been officially set for Feb. 11, 2013, ensuring it will occur after the NFL season, which ends with Super Bowl XLVII on Feb. 3 in New Orleans. Dennard had his trial delayed in July and again in November.
Dennard was projected as NFL-caliber corner out of Nebraska but his value slipped with the arrest shortly before the NFL draft. The Patriots selected him in the seventh round. He played 10 games this season, starting seven and recording 35 tackles and three interceptions.
He started and had three tackles and a forced fumble against the Texans last Sunday in the AFC divisional round.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- NFL Power Rankings: Breaking Down Sunday's Action Ahead of Week 7
- Patriots vs. Bengals: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Illness: Updates on Patriots TE's Status and Return
- Tom Brady Elects Not to Comment When Asked About Donald Trump's Leaked...
- Cincinnati Bengals vs. New England Patriots Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL...
- Martellus Bennett, Chris Hogan, James White Post-Week 5 Fantasy Advice
- Patriots vs. Browns: Full Report Card Grades for New England