Mayor Menino adds to list of Patriots mispronunciations with ‘Wilcock,’ ‘Gonk’
|01.17.13 at 12:36 pm ET|
Boston Mayor Thomas Menino was trying to brag about the Patriots in a televised phone call to the Baltimore Mayor Stephanie Rawlings Blake on Wednesday, but once again Menino struggled to get the pronunciations correct.
Menino, wearing a Vince Wilfork jersey, referred to the defensive lineman as “Wilcock” before being corrected by a reporter. Then he mispronounced Rob Gronkowski‘s nickname as “Gonk.”
“We have Tom Brady here,” Menino said. “And Stevan Ridley, I mean, another great guy. And Wilcock. … We have it all. [Aaron] Hernandez is going to do a great job. He’ll step in for Gonk because Gonk’s hurt.”
Menino’s past mistakes include confusing Pats kicker Adam Vinatieri with Red Sox catcher Jason Varitek, calling Kevin Garnett and Rajon Rondo “KJ” and “Hondo,” and referring to Gronkowski and Wes Welker as “Grabowski” and “Wekler.”
2014 PATRIOTS DRAFT PICKS
2014 NFL DRAFT
Latest from Bleacher Report
- How Big of an Impact Will Easley Make for Pats?
- Patriots' Top Offseason Moves
- Assessing Every Patriots UDFA's Chances of Making the Roster
- Projecting Patriots' Roster Battles This Offseason
- Ranking Pats' Remaining Offseason Priorities
- Early Projections for Patriots' Final 53-Man Roster
- In-Depth Look at Each Pats Draft Pick