First-quarter notes: Patriots 3, Ravens 0
|01.20.13 at 7:22 pm ET|
FOXBORO — The first quarter is in the books here at Gillette Stadium, and the Patriots hold a 3-0 lead. Here are a few quick notes after one quarter.
‘¢The Ravens won the toss and deferred.
‘¢The Patriots opened with a two tight-end set that included Aaron Hernandez and Michael Hoomanawanui. Wes Welker started as a fullback on the first play (in front of Stevan Ridley), and then went in motion right. New England went no-huddle right out of the gate, and while they couldn’t pick up the first down, the Patriots made the Ravens burn an early time out when they shifted out of a punt formation and lined Ryan Mallett up under center. Baltimore called a timeout, but New England went back to punt after the time out.
‘¢Baltimore wasn’t able to move the chains on its first possession either, and punted it away. That’s when the New England offense went to work, quickly maneuvering into Baltimore territory, with the big gains coming on a 13- and 16-yard completions to Brandon Lloyd. The Patriots stalled out at the Baltimore 12-yard line, but a 31-yard field goal from Stephen Gostkowski was good to make it 3-0 with 6:21 left in the quarter. Lloyd had his most complete game of the season earlier in the year against the Ravens, and is certainly off to a similar start this evening.
‘¢As for injuries, the Patriots lost cornerback Aqib Talib to a thigh injury midway through the quarter, and his return was announced as questionable. Defensive lineman Kyle Love suffered a knee injury, and his return was announced as questionable. And defensive end Chandler Jones was dressed and on the sidelines, but didn’t see any action.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Jacoby Brissett Injury: Updates on Patriots QB's Thumb and Return
- Jacoby Brissett, QBs Making Their First Career Start Under Belichick Are...
- Shorthanded Patriots Send Emphatic Message That They Are Team to Beat in...
- Patriots vs. Texans: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Jacoby Brissett, Julian Edelman, LeGarrette Blount Post-Week 3 Fantasy...
- Despite Injuries, Patriots Already September's Biggest Winners in the NFL
- Houston Texans vs. New England Patriots Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL Pick