Third-quarter notes: Ravens 14, Patriots 13
|01.20.13 at 8:59 pm ET|
FOXBORO — The third quarter is done at Gillette Stadium, and the Ravens hold a 14-13 lead. Here are a few quick notes:
‘¢The Patriots started their first drive of the second half with their worst field position of the night — their own 9-yard line. A 24-yard connection from Tom Brady to Wes Welker was amplified by a personal foul on Bernard Pollard for a post-completion hit on the receiver. That got the Patriots to the Baltimore 36-yard line, but a Welker drop on third down — it would have been good for a first down if he had caught the ball — forced a New England punt.
‘¢The Ravens took advantage and had their best drive of the quarter on the ensuing possession — that’s when Joe Flacco really turned it up, going down field with a 22-yarder to Dennis Pitta and adding a 15-yarder to Ray Rice. The Ravens took the lead on a five-yard pass from Flacco to Pitta (one play after Pitta was absolutely crushed by linebacker Jerod Mayo on a reception) to make it 14-13 with 6:14 left in the third quarter. It was an impressive 10-play, 87-yard drive for the Ravens, who appeared (at least for that drive) to move away from a reliance on the deep ball for more underneath stuff. Regardless, the two scoring drives for Baltimore went 90 and 87 yards.
‘¢The Ravens were knocking on the door at the end of the third quarter, thanks to another nice sequence that started in earnest with a 23-yard completion from Flacco to Torrey Smith — at Alfonzo Dennard‘s expense — that got Baltimore into New England territory. Bernard Pierce picked up 11 yards on a third-down run, and the Ravens were into the Patriots’ red zone.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Rob Gronkowski Keeps Rolling as the Patriots' Offensive Pillar
- Patriots vs. Steelers: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- NFL Power Rankings: Breaking Down Sunday's Action Ahead of Week 7
- Patriots vs. Bengals: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Illness: Updates on Patriots TE's Status and Return
- Tom Brady Elects Not to Comment When Asked About Donald Trump's Leaked...
- Cincinnati Bengals vs. New England Patriots Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL...