CBS’ Shannon Sharpe: Bill Belichick ‘a poor sport’ for declining postgame interview
|01.21.13 at 7:03 am ET|
CBS Sports analyst Shannon Sharpe was not pleased with Bill Belichick after the Patriots coach declined to be interviewed by sideline reporter Steve Tasker following Sunday night’s AFC championship game in Foxboro.
“There’s something to be said about being gracious in defeat,” Sharpe said. “We’ve seen the New England Patriots five times in the last 12 years be victorious [in the AFC title game]. And we’ve seen the opposing coaches that lost come out and talk to our Steve Tasker. … Bill Belichick makes it real easy for you to root against the Patriots. You can’t be a poor sport all the time. You’re not going to win all the time. He does this every time he loses. And it’s unacceptable.”
Instead of Belichick, the Patriots sent defensive back Devin McCourty to tell Tasker, “They outplayed us.” Belichick did conduct his normal postgame press conference with the media, although he was his typical petulant self, providing short, unrevealing answers.
CBS paid a reported $622 million for the right to broadcast AFC games this season.
Latest from Bleacher Report
- NFL Power Rankings: Breaking Down Sunday's Action Ahead of Week 7
- Patriots vs. Bengals: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Illness: Updates on Patriots TE's Status and Return
- Tom Brady Elects Not to Comment When Asked About Donald Trump's Leaked...
- Cincinnati Bengals vs. New England Patriots Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL...
- Martellus Bennett, Chris Hogan, James White Post-Week 5 Fantasy Advice
- Patriots vs. Browns: Full Report Card Grades for New England