In Focus: Charting offensive opportunities for Patriots skill position players
|01.23.13 at 3:55 pm ET|
Every week, we present a list of the Patriots’ ‘offensive touches,’ a running tally of which one of the offensive skill position players is getting the most looks. Like our weekly look at targets, it can occasionally be an inexact stat, but it remains a good barometer of how confident the coaches (and quarterback) are when it comes to the skill position players at their disposal. Here’s a breakdown of the New England offense for the 2012 postseason:
RB Stevan Ridley: 34 (33 rushes, 1 catch), 3 negative runs
RB Shane Vereen: 18 (11 rushes, 7 catches), 1 negative runs
WR Wes Welker: 16 (0 rushes, 16 catches)
TE Aaron Hernandez: 16 (1 rush, 15 catches)
WR Brandon Lloyd: 12 (0 rushes, 12 catches)
RB Danny Woodhead: 5 (4 rushes, 1 catch)
QB Tom Brady: 3 (3 rushes), 1 sack, 1 kneel down
WR Deion Branch: 2 (0 rushes, 2 catches)
TOTAL: 106 touches (52 rushes, 54 catches), 4 negative plays, plus 1 sack and 1 kneel down
Running back: 57 touches (48 rushes, 9 catches), 4 negative runs
Wide receiver: 30 touches (0 rushes, 30 catches)
Tight end: 16 touches (1 rush, 15 catches)
Quarterback: 3 (3 rushes)
Latest from Bleacher Report
- Can the New England Patriots Survive Another Rob Gronkowski Absence?
- Rob Gronkowski Injury Update: TE Reportedly Will Miss 8 Weeks with Back...
- Marcus Cannon, Patriots Agree to New Contract: Latest Details and...
- Tom Brady Became 5th QB in NFL History to Throw for at Least 60,000 Yards
- Patriots vs. Jets: Full Report Card Grades for New England
- Rob Gronkowski Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Recovery from Back...
- Julian Edelman Injury: Updates on Patriots Star's Foot and Return